website statistics

Women's Football UEFA European Nations League 2023 - 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

6 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Seems a bit unfair, the match in Sunderland was a bit of an anomaly, but there is a huge gap between England and Scotland. Additionally, in the UK media, there has been a lot of talk about how scandalous it would be if Scotland gave it to England. 

Watching the game, It is unfair to say that Scotland haven't been trying as they most definitely have been. They it may look like that haven't been trying during the last 3 goals but it has been unrelenting pressure from England, They have been laser focused on this and clearly want it, I don't think they have celebrated or even smiles after any of the goals, just bringing in back to the center circle for a rapid kickoff.

It's interesting isn't it. In the previous game between the Netherlands and Belgium the latter won 2-1. Now suddenly they seem impotent with just one shot at goal in the first half compared with the Netherlands' eleven and just 24% possession. It's almost as if the Belgians are trying to help their neighbours.

Edited by Nickyc707

8 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Seems a bit unfair, the match in Sunderland was a bit of an anomaly, but there is a huge gap between England and Scotland. Additionally, in the UK media, there has been a lot of talk about how scandalous it would be if Scotland gave it to England. 

Watching the game, It is unfair to say that Scotland haven't been trying as they most definitely have been. They it may look like that haven't been trying during the last 3 goals but it has been unrelenting pressure from England, They have been laser focused on this and clearly want it, I don't think they have celebrated or even smiles after any of the goals, just bringing in back to the center circle for a rapid kickoff.

Oh come on. I know many people would like to think this is just a matter of quality, but if the quality gap is this big, the Scottish women's football team shouldn't be playing internationally....this is really a pathetic showing. Every single attempt the English make just leads to...well, sometimes a miss, but definitely not actual resistance. 

If this is Scotland's quality, they should be under League C.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

Now that it is 4-0 there is no way Scotland is going to take it seriously anymore. There is little honour to be upheld now.

This is all but over. I kinda expected Netherlands to lose against England over two matches, did not expect for it to go like this. This is kind of an ugly way tbh, especially with the layer of controversy over all of it. Although it should also be said that twice conceding a decider in extra time is also just plain poor. Especially the loss against Belgium was just poor. But the same could be said for England.

I agree with the second paragraph, and I think that if UEFA want to add any validity to the competition they need to add VAR, as there have been many contentious decisions affecting all teams in this group, which most certainly would have affected the group table.

Just now, TeamGB said:

I agree with the second paragraph, and I think that if UEFA want to add any validity to the competition they need to add VAR, as there have been many contentious decisions affecting all teams in this group, which most certainly would have affected the group table.

I agree on VAR being useful/necessary. And I don't mean Scotland is going to throw it on purpose, but when you are 5 behind, it is so much different than defending the 2-0 or the 1-1 really. 

1 minute ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

I agree on VAR being useful/necessary. And I don't mean Scotland is going to throw it on purpose, but when you are 5 behind, it is so much different than defending the 2-0 or the 1-1 really. 

You're right, but if Netherlands had got into that position vs Scotland, then I'm sure that the scottish desire would have gone also.

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh come on. I know many people would like to think this is just a matter of quality, but if the quality gap is this big, the Scottish women's football team shouldn't be playing internationally....this is really a pathetic showing. Every single attempt the English make just leads to...well, sometimes a miss, but definitely not actual resistance. 

If this is Scotland's quality, they should be under League C.

Not sure if you noticed, Woodie, but Scotland have already been relegated, and by a distance. In The Second League, Ireland just put 6 past Northern Ireland, in Belfast. Sometimes the gaps at this level are big. I've actually been watching the game. Scotland defended well for 30 minutes, and have gamely tried throughout and then ran out of steam - England clearly has better conditioning.

This is the European champion, World Cup runner up here. The issue maybe isn't why they've demolished Scotland, but why they weren't demolishing everyone in the group until now.

Anyway, it's 5-0 Eng, 2-0 Ned now, so from this point, it is a straight shootout.

Edited by mpjmcevoy

1 minute ago, TeamGB said:

This is also the same England that beat Sweden 4:0 and Norway 8:0, and I'm sure we can agree that Scotland are worse than both those teams.

Tbh Netherlands also have been pretty prolific at recent tournaments and they didn't manage to score a lot against Scotland either. On the other hand, without Miedema I can't remember any standout match in offense.

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I don't doubt :SCO is doing their best, but :ENG :SCO :WAL :NIR (or :IRL and :NIR for that matter) should simply not be allowed to be in the same group in this competition in years where Olympic qualification is on the line.

A group of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would be fine. England and Ireland should not be allowed to draw Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland and Northern Ireland only, respectively.