website statistics

Women's Football UEFA European Nations League 2023 - 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

4 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Scotland and England basketballl didn't seem to have any problem uniting as GB for the Olympics. After all English and Scottish clubs compete together in the same league. The country with the issues this time is Wales.

The issue only really arises in some team sports and has more than 150 years of sporting competition behind it with the first recognised international matches in both sports being between England and Scotland - rugby union (1871), football (1872).

They had quite a lot of problems uniting, in the run up to 2012, and the team have not been successful since. Indeed, the 'home nations' effectively  launched a coup of the GB Basketball organisation a few years later, specifically to protect home nations interests at the expense of GB ones - one of the multiple reasons why GBR international basketball is a bit of a mess.

From the leading GBR Basketball website, hoopsfix:

image.png

24 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

They had quite a lot of problems uniting, in the run up to 2012, and the team have not been successful since. Indeed, the 'home nations' effectively  launched a coup of the GB Basketball organisation a few years later, specifically to protect home nations interests at the expense of GB ones - one of the multiple reasons why GBR international basketball is a bit of a mess.

From the leading GBR Basketball website, hoopsfix:

image.png

I'm not disputing that basketball in GB is appalling badly run but it was Wales not England or Scotland which resisted a merger of the three federations.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/wales/18558227

On 12/2/2023 at 1:45 PM, Nickyc707 said:

I'm not disputing that basketball in GB is appalling badly run but it was Wales not England or Scotland which resisted a merger of the three federations.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/wales/18558227

I often look at how relatively well Great Britain is currently doing in men's ice hockey (in which it has a enjoyable but hardly top tier league and limited grassroots) and baseball (where it has no league to speak of) and wonder why GBR are so fundamentally badly run in basketball - a game with far more reach, and in which, despite everything, they seem to produce a decent number of US College ballers every year...I used to wonder was it because rugby snaffled the tall talents, but I don't think it is...

Scotland isn't even hiding that they're giving it away, most of the time they're barely even trying by the looks of it :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!