website statistics

Diving at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

9 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Not sure it makes sense to lead this discussion with you if you feel attacked by someone not praising France ...

Germany won bronze last year with a completely new team, which as well was a clear sign that the field isn't very strong. I don't have to ask myself why Germany didn't qualify. Germany just doesn't have a strong team and i don't remember Barthel ever achieving much in individual competitions. GB (and of course China) are clearly ahead of the rest (France, Italy, USA, Germany, Mexico). If we would contest this competition ten times under the same circumstances, then all of those nations (France, Italy, USA, Germany, Mexico) would probably win bronze at least once, because none of those teams has much consistency. I was also talking about diving as a whole and men's 3 m synchronised is only one out of eight competitions, so this criticism wasn't focused on France, but the general level. It would be nice if you could answer me the following questions?

1) Don't you think that the absence of Russia (and the fact that ukrainian athletes can't prepare optimally) lowered the level?

2) Don't you agree that Mexico and the US used to be stronger in (men's) diving?

3) Don't you think that the dominance of China harmed the sport by creating the impression that it is pretty much impossible for athletes from other nations to win gold?

and no I am not asking others to praise France, I have never criticized the victories of the Germans in competitions, moreover I am happy when you win quotas in other

2 hours ago, Benolympique said:

yes since russia no longer participate it allows other nations to win, but I am against the boycott of russia concerning ukraine I don't think it has an impact on their training and anyway many train abroad. and mexico was a strong nation like malaysia or canada but this generation is gone

Excuse me, but Mexico is not gone, we have a mix of experience and youth who already has olympic experience like Aranza Vazquez, Osmar Olvera, even Randal Willars who didn't go to Tokyo Olympics but has been in the world stage since 2017 when he was 16 years old.

Rodrigo Diego and Juan Celaya are a new pairing, the team overall have not competed internationally that much because of all the problems within mexican authorities not founding the aquatics sports in our country.

Canada is like in the same situation as Mexico with youth/experience divers. Malaysia though...

So no real surprises in the prelims of the women's 10m synchro - other than the absences noted above. China are a country mile ahead of the field. Expecting tight fight between :USA, :GBR and :CAN for the remaining 2 quotas with possibility that :MEX and :JPN may also challenge.

At the other end of the field, I think the French girls took some heavy knocks going into the water.

Fair play to the girls from Macau - it takes some guts to be competing on the 10m platform when you're just 13 and 14. They were never likely to be troubling the top of the leaderboard and if the competition was anywhere else in the world, the chances are these girls would not be competing, but they made it through all 5 dives without dropping a dive. 

27 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Fair play to the girls from Macau - it takes some guts to be competing on the 10m platform when you're just 13 and 14. They were never likely to be troubling the top of the leaderboard and if the competition was anywhere else in the world, the chances are these girls would not be competing, but they made it through all 5 dives without dropping a dive. 

Good experience before a potential venture into the Asian Games though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

a question for all the diving experts:

is there anyone at this competition that's capable of winning a gold medal that isn't Chinese?

Sadly no, it’s still a matter of the rest depending on Chinese underperfoming + judges stop being so lenient with them.

GB is right now the only one with a solid program that could challenge them in some point, while the rest of the world is competing for a chance in the podium. 

15 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Also i have the feeling that Mexico (overall), the US (mainly on the men's side) and GB (mainly on the women's side) used to be stronger.

In Mexico’s case it’s not surprising that level has dropped, mostly due to the fact there is no federation, and thus no public funding (mostly due to corruption) and an actual training program, with most of the divers having to return to their local clubs/college/associations to continue their training.

Still, the talent is there and with some new young blood, probably next cycle will see them getting better results.