website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

15 hours ago, Dragon said:

I'm afraid this is very poor behaviour from Argentina...

I don't like that and won't defend it, but is a bit out of context. There was a lot of heat beteween the two teams before and after the match. Right before that a bunch of dutch players jumped and tried to provoke Lautaro when he was going to kick the last penalty. And if you listen to Messi after the match, I have never seen him so mad with an opponent. It was mostly Van Gaal, but also Noppert (he said he was going to save a penalty) and Weghorst.

Again, don't like it, but it was in the context of a battle from both sides.

1 hour ago, konig said:

Van Gaal sayed things like "Messi doesnt do nothing in defense" and "we are clear candidates to win the penalties", here the cultural diferences: in Argentina we call this actions like "boquear", a big provocation and coming from the coach is even worse, Weghorst, acording the players, says many things in the match, for that reason Messi sayed to him when he was with the press "que miras, bobo" (what are you looking at?, dumb).

Oh, I thought there were actual things being said, but just the standard back-and-forth stuff then :p 

Van Gaal is not someone who says those things to provoke, he is being asked about certain things and he answers them the way he thinks. If he sees Messi never does much defending, and someone asks about it, there's zero reason for him to say something else.

After the 1/8th finals he also said he was highly unimpressed with Brazil. Which wasn't such a weird thing to say, it seems :d 

Spoiler

And here, Argentinian players are entirely known for their talking and provoking during matches, I think the memories of the real dirty ones like Ortega and the shame of Argentina's terrible behaviour in the 1978 final are still alive especially for the older people :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, NMQ said:

I don't like that and won't defend it, but is a bit out of context. There was a lot of heat beteween the two teams before and after the match. Right before that a bunch of dutch players jumped and tried to provoke Lautaro when he was going to kick the last penalty. And if you listen to Messi after the match, I have never seen him so mad with an opponent. It was mostly Van Gaal, but also Noppert (he said he was going to save a penalty) and Weghorst.

Again, don't like it, but it was in the context of a battle from both sides.

To be fair, this is also part of what makes this specific match-up awesome. Netherlands - Germany, yeah, there was real hate in the 70's, 80's and 90's. People didn't give a fuck about winning Euro '88 the moment the Germans were defeated in the semi's, that was the real final. People like Rudi Völler and Lothar Matthäus were hated with an intensity I don't think will ever come back for anyone.

However, nowadays, not much wrong with the Germans. Schweinsteiger had a rather annoying flair about him, but not much else, it's not really a rivalry anymore. Argentina however...man, that's the real enemy here :d Slightly ahead of Portugal, but that's more recent, so it doesn't beat the rivalry with Argentina.

It's as tense as can be, but I love the overall excitement over a knock-out match with Argentina. At least here it really felt like 'shit is on, let's go!' :p 

The Dutch team just seriously sucked this year, so yeah...it's a miracle it even got back to 2-2.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Must be cool to simply switch to cheering for whoever is from your general area on the map so even if your own team is so bad it can't even qualify, you still have something to cheer for as if it's home :d 

African football history window

in 1970 :MAR won the first ever point of an African nation at WC

in 1986 :MAR was the first african nation to win its group and qualify for the Play-Offs

in 2022 :MAR can be the first African nation to reach the WC Final-Four

Edited by hckošice

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Must be cool to simply switch to cheering for whoever is from your general area on the map so even if your own team is so bad it can't even qualify, you still have something to cheer for as if it's home :d 

One Polish portal just run a story how Morocco represents the entire Arab world and yeah, I can see why Maghreb region is running behind Morocco even if Algeria was a French colony and Morocco was a Spanish colony etc.