website statistics

Men's Football UEFA European Championship 2024

Totallympics

I have a very "meh" feeling about this Euros....

In one hand i think we have the best team i have ever seen in :POR, almost at same level as the one from the early 2000s. 

In the other hand we have Ronaldo.... which was good and hero and etc but now is just old and annoying....

So unless he gets injured I dont have much hopes for this year unfortunately..

1 hour ago, kungshamra71 said:

I have a very "meh" feeling about this Euros....

In one hand i think we have the best team i have ever seen in :POR, almost at same level as the one from the early 2000s. 

In the other hand we have Ronaldo.... which was good and hero and etc but now is just old and annoying....

So unless he gets injured I dont have much hopes for this year unfortunately..

When is he going to leave the national team? I was sure that leaving for Saudi Arabia would mean the end of his appearances in the national team. I have a similar opinion that he is harming the team more than helping it but the coach should notice this and propose a dignified farewell.

The Problem is that Portugal always picks some below average coaches for NT , since Scolari I haven't seen them signing good coaches , even Fernando Santos that win Euro in 2016 wasn't that good and literally did nothing along with this Euros despite having one of the best ever generations of Portugese Players , so these average Coaches are afraid of Ronaldo's affect in the media like what happened in last WC when they say that we lost because he didn't start the match . 

Roberto Martinez is some average coach that I don't remember he has done anything good in his career other than with Wigan and that was from way back . Same problem of Belgium from Wilmots to Roberto Martinez who was an upgrade version of Wilmots ofc to Tedesco 

5 minutes ago, copravolley said:

When is he going to leave the national team? I was sure that leaving for Saudi Arabia would mean the end of his appearances in the national team. I have a similar opinion that he is harming the team more than helping it but the coach should notice this and propose a dignified farewell.

Yeah but it's a very complicated situation... Right now i believe the huge majority of people in portugal want him to retire already, but he doesn't.

And it's not "easy" to push him away because of two reasons:
- he's the all time hero of the country, so it would be like Brasil kicking out Pelé

- he brings a lot of money to the national federation, and i'm pretty sure the coach has pressure from above because they don't want to push out the "cash cow" of the team

Plus he's a diva so he won't go away on his own

4 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

Yeah but it's a very complicated situation... Right now i believe the huge majority of people in portugal want him to retire already, but he doesn't.

And it's not "easy" to push him away because of two reasons:
- he's the all time hero of the country, so it would be like Brasil kicking out Pelé

- he brings a lot of money to the national federation, and i'm pretty sure the coach has pressure from above because they don't want to push out the "cash cow" of the team

Plus he's a diva so he won't go away on his own

Luis Figo knew when to leave and he was also a big star in Portugal, although obviously not as big as Ronaldo. Maybe Ronaldo wants to leave in 2024 after the Euro? Will it be about 20 years after his debut in the national team in 2004, also at Euro?

1 minute ago, thepharoah said:

The Problem is that Portugal always picks some below average coaches for NT , since Scolari I haven't seen them signing good coaches, even Fernando Santos that win Euro in 2016 wasn't that good and literally did nothing along with this Euros despite having one of the best ever generations of Portugese Players , so these average Coaches are afraid of Ronaldo's affect in the media like what happened in last WC when they say that we lost because he didn't start the match . 

Roberto Martinez is some average coach that I don't remember he has done anything good in his career other than with Wigan and that was from way back . Same problem of Belgium from Wilmots to Roberto Martinez who was an upgrade version of Wilmots ofc to Tedesco 

yeah precisely this.

People in Portugal screamed out loud to let Ronaldo in the bench after the group phase and surprise surprise, Switzerland just got destroyed by what is supposed to be our national team.

And you saw it against Sweden as well. When he's not there they just play as a team and not just to him, so it's easier to get good results. 

Just now, copravolley said:

Luis Figo knew when to leave and he was also a big star in Portugal, although obviously not as big as Ronaldo. Maybe Ronaldo wants to leave in 2024 after the Euro? Will it be about 20 years after his debut in the national team in 2004, also at Euro?

Figo was big, but Ronaldo is on Eusebio/Pelé/Maradona level (in Portugal, i mean). Is the best for the old and new generations, so it's something different.

I dont think he wants to leave in 2024, i think in his mind he can play forever. But I think he will leave this year, because next world cup is in USA, and.... he has some trouble relationship with USA.... so i think he will avoid putting is foot there again :d

15 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Maybe for you guys it is laughable, you were in an easy group and struggled so much, and even against Wales did not have a shot on goal the entire 120 minutes and still qualified.

For us we were in the toughest group, fought very hard in two games against France and one game against the Netherlands, won all games against the other teams, won our Nations League group, beat Kazakhstan 5-0 on Thursday, and had one poor game at Georgia where even though we didn't concede a goal, we could not score, and lost on penalties, and will not be at the Euros...

So it's all about perspective, you think it is easy but for us it is not easy.

The sad thing is we qualified for three consecutive Euros (2004, 2008, 2012) and made the quarterfinals or better in two of those, then they increased the amount of teams to 24 for the next three (2016, 2020, 2024) and we did not manage to qualify for any of them!

2016 was probably the worst as we were in a joke group and most of our Starting 11 played in the Champions League at that time and we've been in a massive slump ever since. On paper, there simply are not 24 teams better than us even if now we do not have as good players as we used to, we still should be qualifying for these tournaments, it's really a shame.

I also had tickets for Euro 2024 but I guess it is time to resell. Another tournament watching from the couch...

It`s true that the current play-off system is brutal and not very fair. The old system with a match and a rematch was better.

19 hours ago, Monzanator said:

@MakedonasThis is like a dead cat bounce for Poland anyway. Szczęsny said he will retire from NT after Euro 2024 and everyone expected Lewandowski would follow if he failed to qualify. This basically means those plans are postponed by three months. I don't expect we can do anything at the Euros except park the bus and hope for a miracle draw vs Austria or maybe Holland we've played frequently in recent times.

Trust me, many Greeks used to have this mentality that it did not matter to qualify if we could not make a deep run (2004 spoiled us), and people would even say it was better if we didn't qualify to not embarrass ourselves (these are the same people today who say our tennis players suck and should retire because they haven't won slams yet, so yeah, really ignorant people but unfortunately they exist here). Well I think it is more embarrassing to not qualify than to qualify and lose in group stages (mind you we made knockouts of our last two major tournaments we participated in and people still complained about our team being "embarrassing" :facepalm:)