website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Just to inject a note of caution for Team GB after what was a great result with a strong performance however, I do think the team needs to be consistently hitting 165 if they are to challenge for podium place in Paris. We were fortunate that Italy and Brazil didn't have their strongest team whilst China underperformed this weekend. 

I missed the final due to meetings, so now that I had a chance I went to check the results hoping Canada finished somewhere better than 8th. Instead I was greeted with a bronze medal finish AND our first Olympic quota. It took everything to not scream out in joy and alert my coworkers of me not working.

While they were the only team to improve their score, it still required everyone else to have an off day. Still, we take those. Like I said, the balance beam is the difference maker in this event and us finishing second in it was a huge contributor to our bronze medal. I'm just glad we won't have to wait until 2023 to qualify our first athletes.

There was water dripping ON THE BALANCE BEAM. Of course, many gymnasts had to count a fall in their routines.

I'm not contesting the results, but something has to be done about it. The organization cannot just get away with this kind of thing.

50 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

There was water dripping ON THE BALANCE BEAM. Of course, many gymnasts had to count a fall in their routines.

I'm not contesting the results, but something has to be done about it. The organization cannot just get away with this kind of thing.

This reminds me of the Vault scandal at the 2000 Olympics, but of course that was much more serious. Here, I just think most gymnasts are having a terrible competition in balance beam - aside from :CHN Ou Yushan, but I don't wanna jinx her...

4 hours ago, vinipereira said:

This reminds me of the Vault scandal at the 2000 Olympics, but of course that was much more serious. Here, I just think most gymnasts are having a terrible competition in balance beam - aside from :CHN Ou Yushan, but I don't wanna jinx her...

Let's face it competitions marred by gymnasts struggling on the beam is nothing new. Personally I think it's the toughest of the eight pieces of apparatus, not that I'd want to do any of them. I feel the pain when the gymnasts drop down and straddle the beam in one of the moves. It's no wonder men don't perform on this apparatus!

As others have mentioned it is the equivalent of the PH in the men's event but much more impactful as it accounts for a quarter of the gymnasts score rather than the sixth of the PH. So far as this competition was concerned I was actually much more surprised by the high number of errors on the floor and asymmetric bars. I think my memory is topped and tailed by the desperate struggles of an Italian and a Japanese gymnast on the latter apparatus, particularly a very painful looking belly flop which I don't think I've ever seen before.

Edited by Nickyc707

13 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I agree that most people struggled, but we cannot just let this slide. This is the most important competition in this sport this year. Not even in the humblest World Challenge Cup stage I've heard about such a dangerous thing. The competition should have been suspended once the leak was discovered. At the very least, gymnasts should have been allowed to perform on beam again. It was not a fair competition to all gymnasts, and there were Olympic berths at stake.

In no way I'm asking for medals to be redistributed and Olympic berths to be taken away from the gymnasts and nations who have qualified. But, seriously, we cannot just say "oops" and keep the ball rolling as if nothing happened. 

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

I agree that most people struggled, but we cannot just let this slide. This is the most important competition in this sport this year. Not even in the humblest World Challenge Cup stage I've heard about such a dangerous thing. The competition should have been suspended once the leak was discovered. At the very least, gymnasts should have been allowed to perform on beam again. It was not a fair competition to all gymnasts, and there were Olympic berths at stake.

In no way I'm asking for medals to be redistributed and Olympic berths to be taken away from the gymnasts and nations who have qualified. But, seriously, we cannot just say "oops" and keep the ball rolling as if nothing happened. 

China in the first group already raised this issue to the committee. Their response is that it's fair for every team. I don't blame this for the Chinese shit show last night as Japan in the same group didn't fall.