website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Championships 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

I forgot to mention about the craziest thing I've seen at Worlds. But first, let me explain something. As most people know, scores are divided in execution and difficulty. There are separate scores for each. The execution score can never be contested, but the difficulty score can. Inquiries can be sent to the judges' panel only by a gymnast who challenges the difficulty score of his/her routine. This means that it is impossible to challenge the difficulty score of another routine.

Jade Carey received a 6.0 D score and 13.833 in total. She believed she deserved a 6.1 D score, so she decided with her coach, who is her dad, to challenge her D score. At that point, she was guaranteed a medal with Jessica Gadirova still to come. Rebeca Andrade received 13.733 (5.9 D) and was in third at that point, with soon to come Jessica Gadirova seriously threatening her chance of getting a medal. Andrade sent an inquiry about her score before and the inquiry was rejected. Carey's inquiry, however, caused her score to change... but it was changed to a LOWER score. So, Carey's difficulty was reduced to 5.9 and her final score was 13.733. Now, this meant that Carey tied Rebeca. Gadirova performs and wins, and then Carey gets a bronze medal along with Rebeca. If Carey had not challenged her own score, she would have earned the bronze medal and Rebeca Andrade would have been fourth.

So, basically, Jade Carey unknowingly gifted Rebeca Andrade a medal everybody was not expecting her to win.

I have finished watching last apparatus finals and one more thing came to my mind...

There is so much technical progress in the world, new advanced technologies, Man landed on the Moon and so on...

But athletes numbers are still put on their clothes using SAFETY-PINS... :-) Will it ever change?

• 4 weeks later...