website statistics

Women's Handball IHF World Championship 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting draw for Netherlands. Their goal is reaching the quarterfinals, well ... that's possible with this draw. However Spain and Brazil are really good teams. Looking forward to the group E and F-matches. Will be a great battle for the quarterfinals.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely missed that the draw was already made more than a week ago.

Teams fighting for the Top8

Path A/B - :SWE  :MNE  :HUN  :CRO  

Path C/D - :NOR  :FRA 

Path E/F - :DEN  :GER  :ROU  :SRB 

Path G/H - :NED  :ESP  :BRA 

Honestly the Top8 seems very predictable: :SWE  :MNE  :NOR  :FRA  :DEN  :GER  :NED  :ESP (with Brazil as a spoiler on G/H)

If everything goes as expected :NOR  :DEN  :FRA  will be direct qualifiers and we can probably add Brazil to that. There's a good chance that almost every Top12 team here will earn either a direct spot to Paris or an OQT spot. Goal difference can also play a big part in who qualifies to the OQT, so Hungary, Croatia, Romania, Serbia and others will have to beat their weaker opponents by as wide of a margin as they can to ensure a good placement. It's still incredibly stupid from IHF that we don't have 9-12th placement matches....

Anyway, our girls will simply have to beat Croatia and I think we will have a pretty good chance to earn an OQT spot. Our draw is quite good. If we will fail against Croatia for the second tournament in a row, we don't deserve to be in Paris. 

15 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I completely missed that the draw was already made more than a week ago.

Teams fighting for the Top8

Path A/B - :SWE  :MNE  :HUN  :CRO  

Path C/D - :NOR  :FRA 

Path E/F - :DEN  :GER  :ROU  :SRB 

Path G/H - :NED  :ESP  :BRA 

Honestly the Top8 seems very predictable: :SWE  :MNE  :NOR  :FRA  :DEN  :GER  :NED  :ESP (with Brazil as a spoiler on G/H)

If everything goes as expected :NOR  :DEN  :FRA  will be direct qualifiers and we can probably add Brazil to that. There's a good chance that almost every Top12 team here will earn either a direct spot to Paris or an OQT spot. Goal difference can also play a big part in who qualifies to the OQT, so Hungary, Croatia, Romania, Serbia and others will have to beat their weaker opponents by as wide of a margin as they can to ensure a good placement. It's still incredibly stupid from IHF that we don't have 9-12th placement matches....

Anyway, our girls will simply have to beat Croatia and I think we will have a pretty good chance to earn an OQT spot. Our draw is quite good. If we will fail against Croatia for the second tournament in a row, we don't deserve to be in Paris. 

you can remove brazil, they will qualify during the pan american this fall

10 hours ago, Benolympique said:

you can remove brazil, they will qualify during the pan american this fall

Yeah, they most likely will.

This is my current prediction on how this will go down:

Direct qualifiers

Host - :FRA 

Worlds - :NOR

Europe - :DEN

America - :BRA

Asia - :KOR

Africa - :ANG

OQT participants

Worlds - :SWE  :MNE  :GER  :NED  :ESP  :HUN

Europe - :SLO  :CRO 

Romania and Serbia are in a bad situation because of their low ECh placement, they can miss out on the OQT, so it will be very important for them to finish above Croatia/Hungary. The issue with that is that they got a bad draw compared to Hungary and Croatia. This draw definitely benefits us and Croatia more and we are already in a better position thanks to the Euros. 

Also, in a strange way the easier path for Hungary to qualify to Paris is to get defeated by Sweden and Montenegro and to win against Croatia. Getting the 9th place here is better than to go into the Top8 as you would avoid the European teams at the OQT...

Edited by Vektor

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Direct qualifiers

OQT participants

Romania and Serbia are in a bad situation because of their low ECh placement, they can miss out on the OQT, so it will be very important for them to finish above Croatia/Hungary. The issue with that is that they got a bad draw compared to Hungary and Croatia. This draw definitely benefits us and Croatia more and we are already in a better position thanks to the Euros. 

Also, in a strange way the easier path for Hungary to qualify to Paris is to get defeated by Sweden and Montenegro and to win against Croatia. Getting the 9th place here is better than to go into the Top8 as you would avoid the European teams at the OQT...

my dream would be: South Korea, Angola, Brazil, Romania, Hungary, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Spain

4 hours ago, Vektor said:

Direct qualifiers

OQT participants

Indeed, the real winner of this WCh is the team that finishes 9th. Does not feel good at all! When everything goes normal, you picked the right teams for the OQT. But honestly, I finally expect a good tournament from Hungary. They are good enough to beat Montenegro. So I predict a top 8 for them. 

For The Netherlands a pretty good draw. But the quarterfinals will be very very very hard against Norway or France. 

19 minutes ago, CCB said:

Indeed, the real winner of this WCh is the team that finishes 9th. Does not feel good at all! When everything goes normal, you picked the right teams for the OQT. But honestly, I finally expect a good tournament from Hungary. They are good enough to beat Montenegro. So I predict a top 8 for them. 

For The Netherlands a pretty good draw. But the quarterfinals will be very very very hard against Norway or France. 

My expectations continue to be low until the girls finally prove that we can be competitive again on the senior level. We have won literally everything on the youth and junior level in the last few years, at some point we might actually have one or two world class players, but for now... yeah, not really. We had two Hungarian clubs in the women's Champions League Final 4 this year, yet we are still lacking actual star players who can lead Hungary to a medal at an international competition.  

• 4 months later...