website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2024

Totallympics

:GER German team:

https://www.dosb.de/sonderseiten/news/news-detail/news/90-junge-team-d-athleteninnen-fuer-gangwon-2024-nominiert

90 athletes, 54 girls and 36 boys. Athletes by sport:

- Biathlon: 8 (4 girls and 4 boys)

- Curling: 6 (3 girls and 3 boys)

- Ice hockey: 18 (all girls)

- Figure skating: 2 (1 girl and 1 boy)

- Speed skating: 4 (2 girls and 2 boys)

- Monobob: 3 (all boys)

- Nordic combined: 4 (2 girls and 2 boys)

- Luge: 11 (6 girls and 5 boys)

- Short track: 2 (1 girl and 1 boy)

- Skeleton: 4 (2 girls and 2 boys)

- Alpine skiing: 6 (3 girls and 3 boys)

- Cross country: 6 (3 girls and 3 boys)

- Ski freestyle: 7 (4 girls and 3 boys)

- Ski jumping: 4 (2 girls and 2 boys)

- Snowboard: 5 (3 girls and 2 boys)

Athletes to watch:

- Finn Sonnekalb (speed skating)

- Romy Ertl (alpine skiing)

- Muriel Mohr (ski freestyle)

- Kona Ettel (snowboard)

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Personally i don't understand why the youth olympics have to "overlap" with the alpine skiing junior world championships. I think this will prevent some of the best talents from competing at the youth olympics. At least one of the best german athletes (Laila Illig) who would have been eligible to compete at the youth olympics won't compete.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

23 hours ago, Dragon said:

Do we know how many people will compete in Gangwon who previously competed at the Beijing Games 2 years ago?

Don't have any information on that, but i think it would also be interesting to speculate who might medal at both the 2024 youth olympic games and the 2026 winter olympic games.

I think the sport where the transition is the fastest/easiest are figure skating, ski freestyle and snowboard. In short track and ski jumping it seems also possible, but in most other sports it seems almost impossible. One exception might be Colturi in alpine skiing.

Edited by OlympicsFan

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Personally i don't understand why the youth olympics have to "overlap" with the alpine skiing junior world championships. I think this will prevent some of the best talents from competing at the youth olympics. At least one of the best german athletes (Laila Illig) who would have been eligible to compete at the youth olympics won't compete.

Honestly, that’s more on the FIS. It seems like a really bad scheduling move on their part.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 1/9/2024 at 6:17 PM, Olympian1010 said:

Honestly, that’s more on the FIS. It seems like a really bad scheduling move on their part.

Yeah, that's just awful planning indeed. How on earth can such an oversight be made? Assuming it's not a conscious choice, because that'd be even dumber.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 12/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, vinipereira said:

Brazil should go with 17 athletes which would be our biggest team ever in a Winter competition.

With a list being here now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_at_the_2024_Winter_Youth_Olympics

Although that list is not entirely correct. It is in terms of athletes (as far as I know), but not exactly the sports. Julia Reis will indeed do cross-country skiing, but Mariana Silva will be doing biathlon. Nobody really understands why, because in the only IBU Junior Cup in which both competed, Julia was 14 minutes (!) ahead of her, but alright, the ever so mysterious ways of Brazil's snow sports federation I guess :p 

I'll ask if the boys are correct, or if one of them is also going to do biathlon.

Edit: Mariana will apparently do both cross-country and biathlon, while Julia will only do cross-country.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 1/9/2024 at 1:36 PM, OlympicsFan said:

Think the idea is that Youth are an age-group below Juniors, but of course there is inevitably some overlap.

On 1/5/2024 at 7:52 AM, Fly_like_a_don said:

What all sports will be streamed? 

I guess those requiring less camera and logistics would be - Curling Ice Hockey Ski Jumping Freeski and Snowboarding Skating sports. Read somewhere sliding sports were not going to be streamed leading to FIL step up the pressure on IOC. 

Looks like there will be a good bit of coverage on Olympics.com, judging from the first day - curling, ski jumping, short track.

https://olympics.com/en/sport-events/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

37 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

That has deterred me!  :roflmao:

London 1948.

1. Military band marches, plays selection of recent popular melodies.

2. Athletes Parade.

3. Speeches {Keep it short, Thomas}

4. Light the Flame

5. Tram home.

Rain optional.

Edited by Grassmarket