website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

46 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Honestly, the WDSF put together a great format for television/streaming to their credit. The sport has filled venues at multi-sport events when more established sports couldn't and, from my personal experience, has been one of the "hotter" tickets to get your hands on at those events. 

I'd argue it was left off the program because USA's and LA28's sports priorities lie elsewhere. Baseball, Lacrosse and American Football are just much more established here than Breaking.

I think any sport is much more established there in USA, and in any other country, than Breaking. They had to arrange an entire sytem of pontuation, competitions and explain to the dancers what is to be an athlete.

I know many of you are not fan of it, but I think it's a little unfair to pick it to an Olympic event, and cut it off before even the athletes step in it. The same applies to what happened to Karate, and may happen which some of these new sports to the next Olympics.

Btw, my opinion about those new sports

Lacrosse - What can I say? I believe if you ask to a Brazilian what this is, they may not know that it's a sport. And, as I saw some posts before, looks this will be a 6-team competiton, like Flag Football, Baseball/Softball and Cricket. That's a terrible decision, and make the competition even more uninteresting for those people from countries where it's not so popular. I don't know if Lacrosse will survive until the next cycle.

Flag Football - So, it could be good for Brazil. We took part in the last World Games, and if I am not wrong, we finished in 4th position. In Brazil, American Football is very popular, we may even have some NFL matches in our soil in the next years. So, this could help to improve our performance, but, again, 6-team competition...

Also, I have never watched this kind of competition, and I have seen it might be quite boring to watch. I think you have watched a little bit of it @Olympian1010, what do you think?

Cricket - So, Brazilian women's team isn't so bad, but 6-team competition...

Anyway, I think it's deserved to a very popular sport for so many people take part at Olympics

Baseball/Softball - I like these sports, and for me they would be in the official list of Olympic Sports. I know that venues are always a problem for the hosts, and the high number of quotas used by them, but they look very olympic for me. I just don't understand why always Baseball for men, and Softball for women, on this way they will never improve the opposite genre in each discipline.

Squash - The most deserved among all of these. They have been trying to join it for so long, and finally the rewards. I hope they can keep it for a long period.

Also, do you think we are going to have big changes on some events? I have seen someone commenting about changes in Rowing events. Do you expect a new discipline from any IF? For instance, I think ISA would love to add paddle events on it.

Edited by Laraja

35 minutes ago, Laraja said:

Flag Football - So, it could be good for Brazil. We took part in the last World Games, and if I am not wrong, we finished in 4th position. In Brazil, American Football is very popular, we may even have some NFL matches in our soil in the next years. So, this could help to improve our performance, but, again, 6-team competition...

Also, I have never watched this kind of competition, and I have seen it might be quite boring to watch. I think you have watched a little bit of it @Olympian1010, what do you think?

I was building a relationship with IFAF at the time, so I spent more time at that venue than any other in Birmingham (inline skating being a close second given my personal interests). 

I must admit I wasn't impressed by the format. I played flag football (8-a-side) growing up, and I think the format we played allowed for more creative plays than the IFAF format. I'd have to watch some replays to remember my full thoughts on the format though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

41 minutes ago, Laraja said:

Also, do you think we are going to have big changes on some events? I have seen someone commenting about changes in Rowing events. Do you expect a new discipline from any IF? For instance, I think ISA would love to add paddle events on it.

No...

There were many program changes submitted to the IOC, but beach rowing was the only one approved. I'm sure if there are any event changes still on the table though.

Paddleboarding (SUP) events will probably be locked out of the Games until the ICF/ISA dispute over the discipline calms down.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

No...

There were many program changes submitted to the IOC, but beach rowing was the only one approved. I'm sure if there are any event changes still on the table though.

Paddleboarding (SUP) events will probably be locked out of the Games until the ICF/ISA dispute over the discipline calms down.

Is there a list of disciplines that were proposed anywhere? I was able to find a couple of them (like compound archery) but not a full list. 

15 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Is there a list of disciplines that were proposed anywhere? I was able to find a couple of them (like compound archery) but not a full list. 

No, the IOC doesn't tend to post a full list of proposals.

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Personally, I don't think my generation is any less "sports inclined" than past generations. I think there are a lot of reasons why the younger generation may be turned off from sport, but those could be addressed in the long run with a solid strategy. The "youth are lazy," or the "their attention span is too short" arguments are getting old fast. It's just an easy way for governments and organizations to write-off their policy shortcomings, or their inability to modernize. The issues are a lot more complex than those arguments. 

What aged fast is breakdancing as Olympic sport. Like the old saying goes, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Olympics is business. Business thrives on reliable long-term customers. Tiktok generation is NOT a reliable customer. The breakdancing craze is almost over before the sport even made it's Olympic debut and USA - a country that understands what business is like no other - punted on the sport in favor of lacrosse :coffee:

The issue isn't that complex if you understand that sport is a business. It's not 1984 anymore when Ingemar Stenmark got banned for making too much money ;) It appears that breakdancing simply isn't making enough money and it has no history or the dreaded tradition to lean on either. So it was swiftly removed after just one attempt.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

It appears that breakdancing simply isn't making enough money and it has no history or the dreaded tradition to lean on either. So it was swiftly removed after just one attempt.

I would say the decision was more motivated by the target market than, "breakdancing simply isn't making enough money." The sports added (outside of cricket, which was added for a different target market obviously) already exist on the American market. Breaking doesn't have the same reach in the United States as American football or lacrosse. As @Laraja noted, the WDSF had to establish an international calendar and formalize the format across competitions. Like any sport, breaking could tap into the American market at some point, but it represents a greater unknown than the chosen six sports.

10 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Squash already confirmed it forsees 32 men, 32 women, 2 events, both sexes individual.

That's correct, only two events as you told me earlier. it stated also in Squash federation news.

Actually you said that before anybody and when WIKIPEDIA was saying 5 medal events by mistake ..credit goes to you my friend ..or you maybe a member of squash federation board :clap:

14 hours ago, Laraja said:

no, coastal rowing replacing the normal rowing lightweight events is the only approved change for the core sports

all the other requests (there were about 16, if I remember correctly) have been rejected

so, there shouldn't be any change to the other sports, but with this IOC we will know that only in July 2028 :facepalm: