website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

1 minute ago, Nickyc707 said:

I have no problem with a matchplay tournament as we see little enough of this format on any of the golf tours. I could even live with a mixed event with two days of strokeplay to determine a matchplay field of 16 or 32. What I don't see any reason for is a mixed team event.

Incidentally aren't foursomes and alternate shot the same thing? Do you mean foursomes and fourballs?

IOC like mixed team events. It is what it is.

Foursomes/alternative shot are simply synonyms - the opposite being fourballs/better ball. Fourball better ball wouldn't work with a mixed sex pair.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, dodge said:

Jumping may be more popular but as it has its own event, and the best jumpers are there, the jumping in eventing always seems a much lower standard 

Where as the cross country is its unique selling point

It can't help the eventers that they jump after a usually gruelling xc the previous day. Moving from dressage to jumping and then xc might actually be beneficial for the horses and performances.

Edited by Nickyc707

6 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

IOC like mixed team events. It is what it is.

Foursomes/alternative shot are simply synonyms - the opposite being fourballs/better ball. Fourball better ball wouldn't work with a mixed sex pair.

The IOC's liking for mixed events is hardly a justification for having one!

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The only problem I see with that is that the Olympic cross country is historically a pretty weak test because of the need for universality; if it is the same difficulty as a standard elite event, it will put more limited riders in danger - indeed, it's apparently been a bug bear for years that Olympic 3Day is far too soft on XC (and jumping), and therefore gives far too muuh importance to dressage element, which means Germans have overachieved,

Conversely, I feel like Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020 both showed that you can create a compelling course that challenges most riders, while still remaining somewhat accessible for all riders/horses.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

While I do enjoy cross-country, I always thought jumping was more popular.

Depends where you're from.

In Australa and New Zealand eventing is equestrian

6 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

The IOC's liking for mixed events is hardly a justification for having one!

It's the only justification the IOC need. Their party, their rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Queen & King of the Court is expected to become a demonstration sport at LA 2028, with the potential of getting added to the Brisbane 2032 programme. Even as a beach volleyball fan, I don’t love the idea of it being at the Olympics. 

https://www.abendblatt.de/sport/article242479368/beachvolleyball-queen-king-of-the-court-olympisch-hamburg-active-city-arena.html

Entire article is in German, so you might need to use Google Translate it :p

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Queen & King of the Court is expected to become a demonstration sport at LA 2028, with the potential of getting added to the Brisbane 2032 programme. Even as a beach volleyball fan, I don’t love the idea of it being at the Olympics. 

https://www.abendblatt.de/sport/article242479368/beachvolleyball-queen-king-of-the-court-olympisch-hamburg-active-city-arena.html

Entire article is in German, so you might need to use Google Translate it :p

That would be so incredibly, indescriably lame.