website statistics

If you could create new Olympic Events...

intoronto

7 hours ago, LDOG said:

It's impossible to have a serious rugby union event in the span of two weeks. Players need at least 6/7 days of rest between matches.

In world cups there is even controversy when some teams are given "only" 4 or 5 days of rest between fixtures. During the olympics each team could play 3 matches max, which is not enough for any serious format of competition.

Football takes 2 days before the Opening Ceremony. I think nothing can stop to take 1 day more for rugby.
So it will be 4 games during 19 days with 5 days of rest between fixtures. Final even can be 1 day before Closing Ceremony or it will be 1 day more for the rest. It's hard but possibly.

With 8 teams if just play-off format or format with groups (with 3 games in group and finals without semifanals) are bad, there is another format.

1st gameday: 1/4
2nd: 1/2 and repechage
3rd: Losers of 1/2 vs. winners of repechage. Finalists have a lot of time for the rest.
4th: Final, bronze medal Game.

So 2 teams will play 2 games, 4 teams will play 3 games, 2 teams will play 4 games.

Edited by Dmitry
About format

Yeah lets get rid of boxing. One of the few sports that sees people from poor backgrounds  reach the top in the Olympics.

Tennis, ditch Mixed Doubles. Silly to have a 16 team draw which is decided on site. 

Golf, Incorporate team aspect and expand the field. Allow more than 2 players per country.

Post 2020

No Karate

add Cricket (T20)

il y a 27 minutes, Dmitry a déclaré:

And I think it's necessary to delete 2 bronze medals. It's like a privilegy for judo, taekwondo and wrestling. Maybe only for boxing it's OK but maybe not.

The double repechage thing they had in Judo up tp Beijing made kind of sense, the one we have nowadays not so much. If they want to keep with the double bronze medals, I hope they revert back to the old system.

Maybe, racquet sports (badminton at least) could come up with a similar system. Il will be much better than the shitty group stage thing.

hace 3 horas, Dmitry said:

Football takes 2 days before the Opening Ceremony. I think nothing can stop to take 1 day more for rugby.
So it will be 4 games during 19 days with 5 days of rest between fixtures. Final even can be 1 day before Closing Ceremony or it will be 1 day more for the rest. It's hard but possibly.

No, that's impossible. No professional rugby team can take that. You can have two games between 5 days rest maybe ONE time, but 3 times in a row will end with more than half of the team injured. And believe me, rugby players get injured A LOT. Even in regular club championships were they play once per week it's very common to rotate a bunch of players each match because many are injured.