website statistics

If you could create new Olympic Events...

intoronto

I was thinking about the Olympic Road Race while watching the Tour De France this week, and I decided to try and come up with an alternative/replacement event for the Olympic Games. So without further ado, I present my creation, Team Road Race.

Objective: Earn the most points
Race Distance: 2x10km laps or 2x15km laps.
Riders per team: 4
Format: Knockout tournament - Quarterfinals (5 heats of 5 teams), Semifinals (2 heats of 5 teams), Final (1 heats of 5 teams)

How to Earn Points: Points are awarded at the finish line of the 1st and 2nd lap, and at the top of a designated climb on the 1st and 2nd lap. Riders earn points based on eligibility and placement.

Points Breakdown:

1st - 10

2nd - 7

3rd - 5

4th - 3

5th - 1

Rider Categories and Eligibility:

Sprinter - can earn points at the end of lap sprints, but not on the climbs

Climber - can earn points at the top of each climb, but not at the end of lap sprints

Domestique - cannot earn any points, but can act as a support/lead-out rider

Freelancer - can earn bonus points by being in front of all the non-freelance riders at the top of the climbs, or at the end of lap sprints

*Each team would have one of each rider catagory

Course Specifications:

Climb - minimum length of 1km/maximum length of 2.5km, minimum of average grade of 4.5%

End of Lap Sprints - finish line must come after at least 500m of straight/flat road

Other Rules:

Time Limit - all riders must cross the finish line no more than 2:30 behind the first rider over the line, or they will be eliminated with their points voided

Olympic quota: 80 riders/20 teams per gender

Qualification System: Top 15 from UCI Nations Ranking + Up to 5 Continental Spots (reallocated to next best team in NR if continent already represented in top 15)

This event would replace the individual road race. It would create a unique event in road cycling that takes place only at the Olympic Games. It would make good use of limited quota places, and even allow for a few to be allocated elsewhere. It would be easier for broadcasters since the equipment/logistical demands are smaller and the broadcast window is compartmentalized. It could possibly be less of a logistical challenge for organizers as well. It could also increase organizer revenue since ticketed viewing areas could be built in the areas where points can be earned. There would be a short “Olympic Break” in the professional season to incentivize the best eligible athletes to participate.

Whelp, that’s what I came up with. Happy to hear y’all’s thoughts on my idea.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I see you totally removed endurance aspect from cycling? Max. 90 kms for three heats is a joke for modern cycling :p  It would be laughable if a domestique won the climb & sprint and his team would get 0 points for it and maybe didn't even get a medal because of it. It's as useless as field events in Diamond League when you can beat a World Record and still finish 4th in the event :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...