website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2016 Team Sizes

hace 45 minutos, nitinsanker said:

wow.:yes...........................did not know that colombia qualifies so many people .............. is this partially because brazil is getting host quotas and that helps colombia or this is the usual number ?

Neither! The last 8 years COC's gotten more money and have also gotten way smarter with how to spend it. We've gone from being beaten by Venezuela every year to leaving them behind and actually ending up above Mexico and Argentina in the last PanAms. In the Olympics, from barely taking 60-something and hoping to scratch a couple of bronzes here and there now we actually expect to get above 7 medals. Basically we got our sh*t together and if we don't mess it up this could be the new normal.

6 minutes ago, carivan said:

Neither! The last 8 years COC's gotten more money and have also gotten way smarter with how to spend it. We've gone from being beaten by Venezuela every year to leaving them behind and actually ending up above Mexico and Argentina in the last PanAms. In the Olympics, from barely taking 60-something and hoping to scratch a couple of bronzes here and there now we actually expect to get above 7 medals. Basically we got our sh*t together and if we don't mess it up this could be the new normal.

Great dude :yes.......hope you guys do well ...........

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Just now, carivan said:

Thanks! 

What about India? What are you guys expecting/hoping for?

welll this year we also crossed a 100 places for the first time ........................and hope to come beat our six medals at rio 

Coming to colombia ....... I know that you have a strong cycling and weightlifting team .... But this time around the best hopes are ? 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Ahora, nitinsanker said:

welll this year we also crossed a 100 places for the first time ........................and hope to come beat our six medals at rio 

Coming to colombia ....... I know that you have a strong cycling and weightlifting team .... But this time around the best hopes are ? 

We're hoping for Pajon to repeat her BMX gold. She just won the worlds (although at home). Ibarguen has dominated women's triple jump for 3 years (although she's been a little off this year) and Fernando Gaviria has won the last two world titles in men's omniun. The road race team is pretty good but I don't dare make any prediction for that race.

What about India? I know shooting always does well for you but what else are you going after this year?

2 minutes ago, carivan said:

We're hoping for Pajon to repeat her BMX gold. She just won the worlds (although at home). Ibarguen has dominated women's triple jump for 3 years (although she's been a little off this year) and Fernando Gaviria has won the last two world titles in men's omniun. The road race team is pretty good but I don't dare make any prediction for that race.

What about India? I know shooting always does well for you but what else are you going after this year?

Well in badminton we have saina who was a silver medalist at the world championship last year and some hopes in boxing and wrestling , mixed doubles in tennis we have some hopes ( sania has been dominating womens doubles with martina ) and we have good mens doubles tennis player , archery our womens team won a silver at the world championships......also in mens hockey finally we seem to have our act together though a medal may be tough ,   but unlike you guys we do not have a huge depth in one sport but tend to be spread in a large number of sports ................... but colombia and India do have one thing in common that we started doing well in the last olympics and this time have further improved our numbers ( last time we got 6 medals and so I think did you guys ) ........and this time both hope to improve so :fingers:

hace 3 minutos, nitinsanker said:

Well in badminton we have saina who was a silver medalist at the world championship last year and some hopes in boxing and wrestling , mixed doubles in tennis we have some hopes ( sania has been dominating womens doubles with martina ) and we have good mens doubles tennis player , archery our womens team won a silver at the world championships......also in mens hockey finally we seem to have our act together though a medal may be tough ,   but unlike you guys we do not have a huge depth in one sport but tend to be spread in a large number of sports ................... but colombia and India do have one thing in common that we started doing well in the last olympics and this time have further improved our numbers ( last time we got 6 medals and so I think did you guys ) ........and this time both hope to improve so :fingers:

Oh yeah, Leander, right? I think he also plays with Martina in the mixed doubles. And hopefully both our nations will! I mean, I've been enjoying the Games for years without watching Colombia win a lot and I still would but it sure would make it a lot more fun lol

2 hours ago, carivan said:

Wonderful! at the next Olympics you'll rule the world! BMX forever

The qualifying period for all sports almost ended and looks like :INAIndonesia will have *most likely* 28 athletes.

(+2 from swimming hopefully and +1 athletics)

My personal review:

It is certainly better than London 2012, where we got many from wildcards/reallocation spots. But I believe my country can qualify more athletes... It is a pity that Larasati Gading (equestrian) failed to qualify, would be nice to see her competing. And also our second men's doubles pair in badminton should also be able to qualify.....