website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA European Championship 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

For the first time ever, I am glad we lost :lol:

We played close against Spain for most of the game, which was a good test for our team, and then at the end we gave up and played the bench players. I'm glad our main players can rest up a bit, because we have a big battle tomorrow against Czechia.

1 hour ago, stepansevs said:

6. And we can exclude France. So if you get QF, there is big chance to qualify

I think we can't exclude France. They have to be one of the 6 teams that qualify to the OQT. Just like how Japan played in the OQT for Tokyo. 

So technically it's actually harder for European teams to qualify for the OQT, they only have 5 open OQT spots, France gets one OQT spot by default even if they finish outside of the Top6 at these Euros.

But it doesn't really matter, France will most likely be in the Top6. So the other teams have to focus on finishing inside the Top6.

Both the host (France) and the World Champion (the US) will be at the Olympic Qualifiers, taking two out of the available 16 spots. Which means that only 4 teams will fail to qualify at the OQTs, the other 12 (including France and the US) will be in Paris. 

Because of this, the last time only 4th placed teams failed to qualify at the OQTs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_FIBA_Women's_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournaments

Edited by Vektor

So the bracket is...

:ESP v :GER / :SVK 

:HUN v :CZE / :GRE 

:BEL v :SRB / :GBR 

:FRA v :MNE / :ITA 

Seems kinda obvious that :BEL  :FRA  :SRB will reach the Top6 and qualify to the OQT from the second half of the bracket, but you can never know.

:ESP will almost certainly qualify from the first half, but the other two spots are up in the air.

Two teams out of :HUN  :GER  :SVK  :CZE  :GRE  will be at the OQT. 

42 minutes ago, Vektor said:

So the bracket is...

Seems kinda obvious that :BEL  :FRA  :SRB will reach the Top6 and qualify to the OQT from the second half of the bracket, but you can never know.

:ESP will almost certainly qualify from the first half, but the other two spots are up in the air.

Damn, that 1 point loss to Germany seems to have really fucked us up. I'm no expert on Women's basketball but I assume we're expected to get thrashed by Serbia?  

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

28 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Damn, that 1 point loss to Germany seems to have really fucked us up. I'm no expert on Women's basketball but I assume we're expected to get thrashed by Serbia?  

I don't see many scenarios where :GBR win, but equally I don't think we will see a repeat of the 81-55 loss inflicted the last time the teams competed in the 2019 EuroBasket 3rd/4th playoff match. Will probably come down to which team is able to put the disappointment of today behind them the quickest.

Serbia aren't playing as well as they have previously so it is possible that if GBR can put them under pressure early on, it could be close but most likely scenario is that Serbia take the win by something in the region of a 5-15 point margin.

Ultimately, GBR were let down today by their free throw conversion rate which was just 50% and they must be kicking themselves because with the mess in the other groups, they had a great opportunity to get to the quarters and put themselves in strong position to get into the Olympic qualifying tournament. Now, the chances are that they will lose on Tuesday, fail to make the quarters, have no place in the OQT and will end up with UK Sport cutting their funding so all in all, today could prove an expensive loss.

45 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I don't see many scenarios where :GBR win, but equally I don't think we will see a repeat of the 81-55 loss inflicted the last time the teams competed in the 2019 EuroBasket 3rd/4th playoff match. Will probably come down to which team is able to put the disappointment of today behind them the quickest.

Serbia aren't playing as well as they have previously so it is possible that if GBR can put them under pressure early on, it could be close but most likely scenario is that Serbia take the win by something in the region of a 5-15 point margin.

Ultimately, GBR were let down today by their free throw conversion rate which was just 50% and they must be kicking themselves because with the mess in the other groups, they had a great opportunity to get to the quarters and put themselves in strong position to get into the Olympic qualifying tournament. Now, the chances are that they will lose on Tuesday, fail to make the quarters, have no place in the OQT and will end up with UK Sport cutting their funding so all in all, today could prove an expensive loss.

It's a real shame cuz I fancied us to get to the Olympics after last cycle's near miss, our Women's team never fails to disappoint. Not a fan of the Women's qualification system though, having no direct continental qualifier is utterly ridiculous. 

12 hours ago, Vektor said:

So the bracket is...

imho :ESP:HUN and one between :CZE:GRE:GER will be the in the top 6 from the upper side of the bracket (with :ESP vs :HUN being the 1st semifinal of the European Championship).

meanwhile in the lower side of the bracket :FRA and :BEL are already safe into the semifinals of Eurobasket 2023 (and in the OQTs, of course), with :SRB being heavily favourite over :ITA and :MNE for the last spot among the lucky 6.

I think (and I hope) that :ITA and :GRE, despite finishing only 3rd in their respective pools in the group stage, are more than capable to overtake a 2nd ranked team like :CZE and / or :MNE.

Edited by phelps

43 minutes ago, phelps said:

imho :ESP:HUN and one between :CZE:GRE:GER will be the in the top 6 from the upper side of the bracket (with :ESP vs :HUN being the 1st semifinal of the European Championship).

meanwhile in the lower side of the bracket :FRA and :BEL are already safe into the semifinals of Eurobasket 2023 (and in the OQTs, of course), with :SRB being heavily favourite over :ITA and :MNE for the last spot among the lucky 6.

I think (and I hope) that :ITA and :GRE, despite finishing only 3rd in their respective pools in the group stage, are more than capable to overtake a 2nd ranked team like :CZE and / or :MNE.

Well, I do want to believe in that we can make it into the SFs, but we wasted a similarly huge chance against :GBR 4 years ago. That being said, our current team seems stronger than the one 4 years ago.

I think it's actually important for us in terms of the Olympic qualification to reach the Top4. We are low on the World Ranking, we need all the WR points we can get here to be in Pot 3 of the OQT draw instead of Pot 4. I mean, even with a Top4 placement there's a high chance that we will be in the weakest pot of the OQT draw. We need those WR points. And obviously it would also be a huge deal if they reach the Top4 at the Euros for the first time since 1997. 

Edited by Vektor