website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Ceremonies

Sindo

1 minute ago, Dunadan said:

Have the commentators always received the speech "printed out" beforehand? I only noticed this time- opening and closing- because, having no clue about the language, they finish translating well before the end of the speech by the Chinese guy.

As far as I know, that is usually the case indeed. Subtitles have always been faster than the actual speech here, as far as I remember at least.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Dunadan said:

Have the commentators always received the speech printed beforehand? I only noticed this time- opening and closing- because, having no clue about the language, they finish translating well before the end of the speech by the Chinese guy.

I think it is usual thing, Every OG ceremonies I remember our commentators were reading the speeches :)

1976 Olympic fencing champion speaking to us live from Utopia.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, De_Gambassi said:

The day that a gold fencer save the world from WW3

And the pandemic! He just told us how to solve it by quoting the Olympic motto :bowdown: 

Some nice spontaneous applauding moments after every sentence.

3 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Have the commentators always received the speech "printed out" beforehand? I only noticed this time- opening and closing- because, having no clue about the language, they finish translating well before the end of the speech by the Chinese guy.

I think they did. For Asian Games 2018, the president’s speech text is already supplied for commentators (even though he added some extra sentences)

Even more extreme SEA Games 2013 in Myanmar (where the language is basically mysterious), the broadcast already included subtitles for the speech of the organizing committee head :lol:

Never thought I'd ever think so, but "I declare the Olympic Games closed" is what I've been waiting for for a few months already (even though I enjoyed the Games). Let the road to 2026 begin!