website statistics

Taekwondo Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

remember that Afghan/refugee guy Alireza Abbasi ?

today I read a story about him, the guy born and raised in Iran from Afghan parents and works full time with Iranian coaches. his coach (who is a very respected person) had an interview today about him, talking about Abbasi's story.

apparently he lost his quota because someone in "Bureau for Aliens and Foreign Immigrant Affairs of Iran"  didn't do his job properly. after the Asian qualifiers, the IOC contacted them asking for more documents about Abbasi but nobody answered the email in time.

he is now officially accepted by IOC/WT but since they didn't accept his documents in time of the tournament, he is not going to Paris.

This is a short interview with himself. very upset about the officials in Iran, he also admits he once tried to participate under AFG's flag but since the situation was terrible there he came back to be a refugee again.

https://www.etemadonline.com/بخش-ورزش-18/666687-عباسی-اداره-اتباع-ایران-المپیک

...in the build up to competition, she became irrational, suffering a complete loss of her cognitive senses...

...‘would be well able to cause a complete loss of cognitive capacity and as such cognitive

impairment’, such that ‘it fully explains the situation in question’...

...Ms Jones’ ‘would be expected to cause transient cognitive

impairment … the level of impairment would be increased to a very significant

level’, and that at the time of the DCO’s visit on 1 December 2023, ‘Ms Jones’s

ability to focus on the key information, to hold that in mind and to consider the

consequences of any decision were significantly impaired...

Ok, someone who experiences such cognitive impairment when a competition is coming up should be stopped by her federation and NOC after a checkup, a big danger for herself and others :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

This is, em.....this is not good.

I appreciate UKAD went to the trouble of getting independent medical advice, but the situation stinks.

Moreover, I doubt I'm entirely alone in wondering what the hell is wrong with Jade that some clearly fairly significant psychiatric assertions come into play - not psychological, psychiatric. And are such concerns commensurate with the lass competing at elite level if they are so disabling of her cognitive state?

On 7/11/2024 at 8:44 PM, mpjmcevoy said:

This is, em.....this is not good.

I appreciate UKAD went to the trouble of getting independent medical advice, but the situation stinks.

Moreover, I doubt I'm entirely alone in wondering what the hell is wrong with Jade that some clearly fairly significant psychiatric assertions come into play - not psychological, psychiatric. And are such concerns commensurate with the lass competing at elite level if they are so disabling of her cognitive state?

In some interviews in her early years as a top international competitor it was suggested she suffered from ADHD

But still...

Edited by Dragon
typo

9 minutes ago, Dragon said:

In some interviews in her early years as a top international competitor it was suggested she suffered from ADHD

But still...

I have absolutely zero doubt at least hundreds of athletes in every Olympics (if not more) are in some form or another on the spectrum of autism and/or ADHD related disorders, that by itself should definitely not be a problem to compete...

If the whole Jade Jones situation is the way it was originally described, I do feel some sort of sympathy for her. One can understand being physically unable to pass urine when being far in a dehydration period to make weight (where one can of course wonder if dehydrating for days to make weight is healthy, which I guess it clearly isn't). I had honestly thought that missing a test due to being physically unable to pass urine counted as a missed test instead of a refused test.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!