website statistics

Taekwondo Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

9 hours ago, prso1000 said:

Iran gets one via ranking in W57 for sure. Still with a chance in M58, and a tiny but not likely in M80. @MHSN

nothing is guaranteed in Taekwondo, you are qualified only when you are mathematically qualified. I believe there are still 100+60 pts left for everybody plus 40+20 for non-European athletes. (what about African Games ? cancelled or what ?) and some athletes can still gain points from minor events too.

you can't count on Grand Slam ranking too much. winning gold in the 1st tournament means nothing if you lose early in the 2nd GS. I believe 68kg quota is almost out of reach, unfortunately our #1 and #2 are out because of that mysterious doping story. and this kid Rezaei is not consistent at all. 58kg and 80kg quotas are still possible. (80kg is much harder though) and for +80kg we only can count on the Grand Slam. we always claim we are good enough to qualify a full 4-man team but that's wishful thinking for now.

Asian Qualifier is also very tricky, you always can run into a very good unseeded kid from TPE or THA, this time even South Korea will send some athletes. China too on the men's side. even maybe Uzbekistan. 

2 quotas will be great for the women's team. 57kg looks good (still not safe) and Nematzadeh at 49kg is not far from top 10 despite missing both 2022 and 2023 World Championships (losing in our own trials :facepalm:) I think she will be send to the Asian Qualifier but you never know with our federation. 

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

nothing is guaranteed in Taekwondo, you are qualified only when you are mathematically qualified. I believe there are still 100+60 pts left for everybody plus 40+20 for non-European athletes. (what about African Games ? cancelled or what ?) and some athletes can still gain points from minor events too.

you can't count on Grand Slam ranking too much. winning gold in the 1st tournament means nothing if you lose early in the 2nd GS. I believe 68kg quota is almost out of reach, unfortunately our #1 and #2 are out because of that mysterious doping story. and this kid Rezaei is not consistent at all. 58kg and 80kg quotas are still possible. (80kg is much harder though) and for +80kg we only can count on the Grand Slam. we always claim we are good enough to qualify a full 4-man team but that's wishful thinking for now.

Asian Qualifier is also very tricky, you always can run into a very good unseeded kid from TPE or THA, this time even South Korea will send some athletes. China too on the men's side. even maybe Uzbekistan. 

2 quotas will be great for the women's team. 57kg looks good (still not safe) and Nematzadeh at 49kg is not far from top 10 despite missing both 2022 and 2023 World Championships (losing in our own trials :facepalm:) I think she will be send to the Asian Qualifier but you never know with our federation. 

I was referring to ranking only 

W57 I think it is safe for you. The other two rather no than yes. 

On 9/4/2023 at 7:02 AM, Rafa Maciel said:

Lauren Williams had a decent result this weekend compared to her recent performances and she came very close to getting through to quarter finals so I think she'll take a lot of positives away from the competition particularly if she feels she is back to full fitness. She's currently about 80 points shy of a quota spot so she has a pretty steep mountain to climb but it isn't impossible - a lot will come down to whether she is going to go chasing the points at the various G1 level events through the early autumn. If she does go to the lower-level tournaments, it's not inconceivable that it could all come down to her performance in the Grand Prix Final in Manchester - but unfortunately I think she is going to come up short and miss out on Paris.

Potentially some early indications that Lauren Williams is going to chase qualifying points - she appears on the entry list for the Serbia Open later this month. It is just G1 level event so only 10 points on offer for the winner. 

I think she has probably left herself too much to do but it is good to see that she isn't going to give up without a fight. 

4 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Potentially some early indications that Lauren Williams is going to chase qualifying points - she appears on the entry list for the Serbia Open later this month. It is just G1 level event so only 10 points on offer for the winner. 

I think she has probably left herself too much to do but it is good to see that she isn't going to give up without a fight. 

How many possible points are left for her to get before year's end?  

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

How many possible points are left for her to get before year's end?  

A lot depends on how many tournaments she is going to enter but realistically there are only two big set pieces left this year for her - the Taiyuan Grand Prix and the Manchester Grand-Prix Final.

Outside of those there are G-1 level tournaments pretty much every week that she could take part in but in all likelihood, she's not going to compete in the immediate run-up or aftermath of those 2 big events so that probably leaves her with a maximum of 4 G-1 Level events that she could fit into her schedule:

23-Sept: Belgrade Open (G-1 Level) 10 Points

10-Oct: Taiyuan Grand Pric (G-6 Level) 60 Points 

21-Oct: Qatar Oper (G-1 Level) 10 Points

28-Oct: Either Dracula Open or Swedish Open (G-1 Level) 10 Points

3-Nov: Cyprus Open (G-1 Level) 10 Points

11-Nov: French Open (G-1 Level) 10 Points

2-Dec: Manchester Grand-Prix Final (G-10 Level) 100 Points

So, if she went all out for qualification and won everything there would be around 200 points available but worth bearing in mind that competitors from Asia and Pan-American region will also have their continental championships (G-4 Level) in this window. 

Before everyone piles in - I am not saying she is going to win everything or that it is highly likely that she is going to qualify. I am simply making the case that there is a very narrow path for her to qualify through the rankings. 

I think that the picture will be much clearer after Taiyuan - if she goes out in the early rounds, then the path to qualification probably won't be there for her. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

In there anybody here who knows how to find the Serbian Open Taekwondo results? @nenad? Thanks

Not used it before but this site seems to be offering results:

TPSS 2014 - TaekoPlan Tournament Subscription Site - Now supporting 14 languages and 2 more coming up soon!

Also worth pointing out the matches are being streamed on YouTube