website statistics

Judo Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

30 minutes ago, phelps said:

the :NED federation has given Kim Polling permission to immediately switch to :ITA :yikes:

she's married to Andrea Regis (former player and now IJF official)

let's hope that the Italian burocracy doesn't make any damage :rolleyes:

she would cover the very important -70kg class for us, which means that we could have a very competitive squad in team event, too

How on earth it is possible to represent Italy in Paris? Some athlete must wait so long - and one weak she was dutch, now she is italian? Crazy

Posted (edited)

She's been living in Italy for years (at least 7 when EU citizens only need 4 consecutive years of residency) + married and had a daughter with an Italian (which should cut in half the waiting period), I'd be surprised if she didn't already go through  all the paperwork. Especially considering that her instagram post suggests she also need it for her post-judo life.

This nationality switch is way more authentic than all those fake refugees, if the Dutch federation has accepted to waive the waiting period I see no problem.

Edited by Faramir

2 minutes ago, Adriano said:

How on earth it is possible to represent Italy in Paris? Some athlete must wait so long - and one weak she was dutch, now she is italian? Crazy

Judo switches can go through pretty much instantaneously if the federations agree. It was the same situation for Acelya Toprak when she switched from GBR to AZE towards the end of last year. any change would still need to be ratified by the IOC I think but that's unlikely to be a problem.

Just now, Rafa Maciel said:

Judo switches can go through pretty much instantaneously if the federations agree. It was the same situation for Acelya Toprak when she switched from GBR to AZE towards the end of last year. any change would still need to be ratified by the IOC I think but that's unlikely to be a problem.

Poland must ask Japan for a few Judo players. For me, a year should be the minimum. It can be overused. Or set the same for different disciplines.

16 hours ago, vinipereira said:

:BRA Judo announced ten judokas for the Paris Games:

66kg- Willian Lima

73kg- Daniel Cargnin

81kg- Guilherme Schimidt

90kg- Rafael Macedo

100kg- Leonardo Gonçalves

+100kg- Rafael Silva

52kg- Larissa Pimenta

57kg- Rafaela Silva

78kg- Mayra Aguiar

+78kg- Beatriz Souza

Cargnin, Macedo, Rafael Silva and Aguiar are back after Tokyo. 4th Olympics for Rafael Silva and Aguiar (who won the bronze medal in each of the three previous Games). Somewhat strange that they announced Rafaela Silva already given how close Jessica Lima was to her in the rankings, but I guess that being an Olympic champion played a big part in this choice.

For me Silva should wait longer, She is not in good shape as Lima.

On 4/5/2024 at 1:57 PM, phelps said:

the :NED federation has given Kim Polling permission to immediately switch to :ITA :yikes:

she's married to Andrea Regis (former player and now IJF official)

let's hope that the Italian burocracy doesn't make any damage :rolleyes:

she would cover the very important -70kg class for us, which means that we could have a very competitive squad in team event, too

and now it's official! :cheer:

the IJF has officially registered Kim Polling's switch from :NED to :ITA 

now she can represent :ITA with immediate effect

Polling's words on the social media (in Italian...google might be helpful):

"Ciao a tutti, mi chiamo Kim Polling e posso dirvi che da oggi posso rappresentare l’Italia. Sono super orgogliosa, grata, contenta e non lo so… ancora mille parole in più per darvi questa notizia. Vi parlo un po’ di me, vivo da otto anni in Italia, mi sono sposata un italiano che si chiama Andrea Regis, anche lui è stato un judoka. Abbiamo una figlia, Aurora, che è nata quasi due anni fa e viviamo a San Mauro Torinese. Ho fatto quest’anno la richiesta all’IJF di cambio nazionalità ed oggi è arrivata la notifica che è stato dato l’ok. Sono davvero super orgogliosa, grata e voglio ringraziare l’Italia, ringraziare l’Accademia Torino, la palestra in cui mi alleno da sette anni e non vedo l’ora per il futuro. Vedremo quello che riesco a fare."

On 4/5/2024 at 1:34 PM, Rafa Maciel said:

I think Alice Schlesinger went through from Israel to GBR quite quickly back in the day.