website statistics
Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News
Posted
5 hours ago, dullard said:

I thought Chatrier will host boxing and Suzanne-Lenglen just the tennis? It's amazing how RG takes so long to get a roof and now they're already getting a second.

No, it's the other way around. Chatrier will be saved for the last tennis rounds when Lenglen will start being used for boxing bouts (early boxing stages will be held in another arena)

Posted

The construction of the roof at the Suzanne-Lenglen court (second biggest Roland Garros court) has started. Outside of tennis and para-tennis, il will also host the boxing tournament. 

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/les-jeux-olympiques/paris-2024/paris-2024-a-roland-garros-le-court-suzanne-lenglen-poursuit-sa-mue-en-vue-des-jeux-olympiques_5370055.html

60cbec4e66fb648e1b8b45a1.jpg

(possibly the last ever olympic boxing venue)

I see a pattern here :evil:

On 8/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, De_Gambassi said:

Breaking

Don't know, don't care. We are guaranteed one male and one female. So there is that. 2 athletes.

6 hours ago, phelps said:

Breaking
I don't care. But I know that at the last World Champs we had a girl in the top 4, so maybe she can do it again. 1 athlete

44 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Breaking

God only knows why this has been elevated to an Olympic sport. Don't know, don't care. According to Team GB website, “some of the best b-boys and b-girls in the world are British” – this isn’t reflected in the world rankings though so not sure how true the statement is and to be honest, I don’t really care.

Total: 0-2 Athletes

:FRA

Archery

Full team guaranteed as host nation. 6 athletes

Artistic Swimming

Full team guaranteed. 8 athletes

Athletics

Depends of the national federation policy Will they open the selection or not ? I think, they will kinda of being forced to do so. 50-75 athletes

Badminton

One male, one female in single are guaranteed. The Giquel-Delrue pair should be in and possibly the Popov brothers in men's double. 4-5 athletes

Basketball

Both 5*5 teams are in. We'are also guaranteed one 3*3 team. Hopefully, the women 3*3 team should qualify via ranking, then it will be a 50-50 for the male team. 28-32 athletes.

Beach Volleyball

Here, we will get an extra quota even if we manage to qualify one pair. That's nice :) . I believe there is a decent chance one of the male's pair qualify by itself. 4-6 athletes

Boxing

The early AIBA draft gave us 7 olympic spots (4 males and 3 women). If it stands, I don't think, we would be able to qualify more boxers than that. 7 athletes

Breaking

Don't know, don't care. We are guaranteed one male and one female. So there is that. 2 athletes.

Canoeing-Sprint

I think, we are guaranteed 4 spots in the C1 and K1 men and women race regardless of other qualified boats ? If true, I'm not sure the federation will use these quotas. 6-12 athletes

Canoeing-Slalom

Will we have an extra quota in this new urban canoeing discipline ? The question is big, the excitement is great (it is not). 4-6 athletes

Cycling-Track

A Full team seams on the horizon tbh, then it depends who will run the team pursuit and the madisson/omnium races 14-16 athletes

Cycling-Road

As of now, we would send a full team. We should remain in the UCI Top 5 male's ranking at least. 7-8 athletes

Cycling-BMX

Freestyle will give us 2 athletes. Racing, probably, like in Tokyo, 5 athletes. 6-8 Athletes

Cycling-MTB

Full team definitely. Unfortunately, these days, that only means 4 quotas. 4 athletes

Diving

One spot guaranteed in every individual discipline. We couldn't ask for more. 8 athletes

Equestrian

Full team guaranteed. 9 Athletes

Fencing

As it stands, every teams would qualify to Paris. We also have 6 extra home nation quotas to be distributed as we wish if we fail to do so. Very likely, we will have a full team: 18 athletes.

Field Hockey

Both teams are guaranteed. 32 Athletes

Football

Both teams are guaranteed. 36 Athletes

Golf

I'm guessing, 2 guys and 2 girls like in Rio and Tokyo ? 4 athletes.

Gymnastics-Artistic

The woman team should qualify, not so much the male one. It will be a bit sad no to have both teams in Paris, but c'est la vie. In worst case scenario, one male gymnast is guaranteed to participate. 6-7 athletes

Gymnastics-Rhythmic

An almost full team is guaranteed. Theoretically, we could have an second individual gymnast, but that's not going to happen. 6 athletes

Gymnastics-Trampoline

Only one spot (male or female) is guaranteed. Hopefully, we could qualify one representative of each. 1-2 athletes

Handball

Both teams are guaranteed. 28 Athletes

Judo

Full team guaranteed. 14 Athletes

Modern Pentathlon

Probably a full team. 4 athletes

Rowing

I expect a very similar team that the one we had in Tokyo (5 boats and 12 rowers). 8 -16 athletes

Rugby 7's

Both teams are guaranteed. 24 Athletes

Sailing

Full team guaranteed. 14 Athletes

Shooting

We are guaranteed one shooter in every individual disciplines, but I would be very disappointed if we didn't qualify any extra shooter. 14-18 athletes

Skateboarding

1 boy, 1 girl in Park and in Street. That's what we have been given to, and that's what we should settle for. 4 athletes

Sport Climbing

1 quota per discipline is guaranteed. I think, we could look for extra quotas in the combined event, less so in the speed one. 5-7 athletes.

Surfing

One of the very few sports where we could have a smaller team than in Tokyo. 2-4 athletes.

Swimming

We had only 25 swimmers in Tokyo. This will certainly be a larger team. 30-35 athletes.

Table Tennis

Full team guaranteed. 6 Athletes

Taekwondo

4 spots are already safe (2 men, and 2 women). Only the women could potentially top that. 4-5 athletes.

Tennis

We are used to send a full team at the Olympics, but this time, it might be different. 8-12 athletes 

Triathlon

I can't see how we could not have 3 men qualified. Women are more a question mark. 5-6 athletes

Volleyball

Basketball

Weightlifting

4 spots are guaranteed (2 males and 2 females). Maybe, we could qualify an extra female quota. 4-5 athletes.

Wrestling

No host nation quotas here :nopompom: There is a scenario where there could be no home wrestlers at Paris 2024. Unlikely but still...  1-4 athletes

Total : 496 - 568 athletes

1 minute ago, George_D said:

Olympics are for all fans all over the world not for those from France only..

Obviously... But you have to consider the hosts also. None of the next three ones having a real desire for the discipline, it can only hurt the chances of weightlifting to remain. 

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Normally, no. But considering this has been in the air for a long time and IWF is just somehow managing to make it worse on a near-daily basis, I'm kind of expecting that, yes.

Not that it would matter for Paris 2024 as a whole of course. Terrible for the athletes, sad for weightlifting fans, but other than that, I highly doubt anyone will really care. And that's not even thinking about probably 90% - at least - of the Olympic viewers who won't even know it was gone until it's back in LA 2028 (if they'll even notice the existence then).

I believe the total air time of weightlifting during these Olympics in France was about 60 seconds. So, yeah, people won't notice. 

Yet, I still believe IOC is trying to push the sport in the right direction and that if they fail to do so (which seems likely at this point) big decision will happen only afterward. Actually, I could see Paris to hold the last Olympic weightlifting tournament in history. 

24 minutes ago, George_D said:

because a historic sport will not be in program

Well, I don't think they care :lol:  They'd save a bit of money and that's it.

Anyway, do people really expect IOC to make such a radical move less than three years before the games start ?

21 minutes ago, phelps said:

the problem is that you have to keep the 5-5-5 distribution of events...5 pistol, 5 rifle, 5 shotgun events...

adding one of the events you named, would necessarily mean cutting a current rifle event, not a shotgun one..:evil:.

Or having - real - mixte events open to both sexes (like it used to be).

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

It was sarcasm :d 

Like, it's 2024, The Olympic Games are starting in Paris and it's a matter of life or death to have those 3 sports, otherwise there wouldn't be any interest or knowledge that these Games are happening in France. 

All this marketing ploy for "host interest" is so ludicrous, that it presents the OG, as some obscure event and we need to popularize it to get some attention.   

What the fuck are you talking about ? These sports don't drive the host country interest. Surfing will be held to the other place of the globe in a land that half of the population would be surprised to learn it's actually a part of the country, no one cares about BMX past puberty and certainly no one give a fuck about breakdancing.

What will drive host country interest are the usual suspects : Athletics, Swimming, team sports or any sport that will bring the medals and that will be forgotten two weeks later.

This additional sport selection had little to do with the host country, but mostly with the IOC trying to pretend it's something else.

Posted (edited)

Thomas Bach  urban sports* to be held on a a 30,000 seats temporary venue on Place de la Concorde

*skateboarding, BMX freestyle, 3x3, breaking and climbing (plus whatever new events the'll come up with by then)

Edited by De_Gambassi

Posted
il y a 33 minutes, phelps a dit :

I'm really asking myself what's going on in the IOC and Paris Organizing Committee's minds?

I thought Tokyo 2020 was easily getting the title of "worst Olympics ever", but I see that Paris is fighting hard to win that already 5 years before their Games...:cry::(:facepalm::wall:

Well, you're not going to watch it anyway (because of breackdancing, remember), so it isn't much of a problem for you :whistle:

Posted (edited)

Apparently Tahiti has become the frontrunner to host the surfing events and Chamonix is becoming heavily considered to host the mountain bikes ones (because wink wink Chamonix 1924)

I don't I like any of these :nopompom:

Edited by De_Gambassi