website statistics

If they are like the previous years, the IOC creates additional quotas for the refugees.

As for the athletes which already qualified, I think those spots will remain with them. Think of it like the tripartite invitations, tripartite nations can qualify normally or be given an invitation. In the refugee's case we don't know how many invitations are available until today.

33 minutes ago, gucardn said:

:BRA Bruno Fratus, Swimming 50 Freestyle bronze olympic medalist! 

He had knee surgery in February and it ruined all his preparation and physical condition! There were expectations that he would participate in the Brazilian trials next week, but he announced his withdrawal! 

I thought he retired.

8 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Bulgaria's best times in sports were at the turn of the 1980s and 1990s: in 1988 you won 35 medals, including 10 gold :yikes:(I don`t count 1980 due to the boycott of many west countries). Later, until the beginning of the 21st century, you won a dozen or so medals in every games and suddenly there was a great crisis from Beijing 2008. Why? In theory, after joining the EU, the country should develop and become richer, which means there will also be more money for sports. The same problem concerned Romania but I see that they are slowly rising up, e.g. in rowing.

For nations like Bulgaria, sport investment in the 70s-90s was due to national pride and a rallying cry by the government to lower the amount of dissident despite not making the lives of the people much better.

When a country decides they want to invest in infrastructure and making the lives of the people better then luxury things like sport investment takes a hit. Once luxury can be affordable then sport investment goes up.

That's why you see countries that are actually developing tend to do poorly in sport rather than overcompensating and looking flashy.

7 hours ago, TeamGB said:

If GB win only 13 Golds I will be shocked, and honestly same with Australia, I could see them near that target in just Swimming.

Yeah, unfortunately for these types of services, their model puts a lot of weight on the last world championships. For swimming so many people missed the 2024 edition (as expected) that the prediction is skewed. Since Australia depends on swimming for many of its medals, they are going to be severely underestimated in this model.

GraceNote would be better off to either combine the times of the last two championships or even disregard 2024 and only use 2023.

7 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Although they are currently marked as having two qualified athletes, :SUR Suriname may very well be back down to 0 athletes.

Renzo Tjon-a-Joe (who qualified in swimming) recently got a dutch passport and will now represent the Netherlands internationally.

Is it official? He would have to sit out 2024 Olympics if he decided to make the switch now.

Regardless, Suriname will qualify in track cycling on Monday

Not too surprising. Prize money at the Olympics was eventually going to happen. Hopefully, it will be the IOC that takes the initiative eventually.

This might help encourage some tennis players to take part, though 50k isn't a lot. That's around what the winner gets for a 250 event. Still better than nothing (including no ranking points).

The IOC will find someone to run the 100m if it comes down to it. They are pretty big on ensuring participation for all nations.

The other option is for the tripartite committee to give one of the taekwondo quotas (women's -49kg or -57kg) to Somalia. With that said, taekwondo quotas are quite competitive, but their hand might be forced (kind of like with Liechtenstein).

2 hours ago, Benolympique said:

Would it be possible to do a simulation on the possible tripartite in all sports ! Thanks a lot

We can give options, but sometimes it's difficult to give an accurate picture.

In the past, sport federations have given quotas to athletes which did not compete at a high level. For example judo tripartite quotas have been awarded to athletes with no world ranking points.

Yeah, it's more likely that :AUS:NZL athletes are based in Europe so it is actually cheaper for them to travel to Hungary. I don't really know any other Oceania nations which compete in rhythmic gymnastics.

Having the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championships at the World Championships makes sense because weightlifting is quite popular in the Pacific, but most of those nations are quite poor and are unlikely to afford the cost of traveling to two events.