Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
hckosice

Ski Jumping 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckosice    891

Domen Prevc dominates the world's elite

Daniel Andre Tande, Domen Prevc, Stefan Kraft

While his older brother and superstar Peter Prevc is still struggling with his shape, only 17-year-old Domen Prevc dominates the world's elite in ski jumping. Prevc won a top competition on Sunday in Klingenthal, close ahead of Norway's Daniel Andre Tande and Austria's Stefan Kraft. The team of Poland could not defend their one-two lead.

Domen Prevc scored 286.9 points with his jumps of 140 m and 141 m and came in only the tiny margin of 0.2 points ahead of Tande (286.7 points). This was the second win in the World Cup for Domen Prevc. Also third-placed Stefan Kraft (284.8 points) was only 1.9 points behind Tande.

"My wins are the result of hard work, they don't just happen", Domen Prevc explained after his success. "But after my second jump today I didn't expect that it would be enough for the win or even the podium. I hope that I can show many more long jumps this winter that I'm satisfied with, that's why I started ski jumping", said Prevc.

With Daniel Andre Tande, the by far best Norwegian at the moment achieved his second podium result this winter. "I'm very satisfied with my performance today. Although my first jump was not as good as the second one. The fact that I could still finish second, shows me that I can win with perfect jumps", said Tande.  

For Austrian Stefan Kraft today's third place was the first podium this winter: "Once again it was an extremely exciting competition. My second jump was my best one here, that was good. Unfortunately I lost some points with the landing, but I'm still very satisfied. Now I hope that I can continue jumping on this high level and finish in the Top 10 consistently." 

Poland loses one-two lead - good jumps are not enough

After the first half of the competition, Poland's Maciej Kot and Kamil Stoch were first and second, but both were not able to defend their leading positions despite good jumps. The competition was simply too strong today. At the end Kot and Stoch came in fourth and fifth, and with Kubacki, Hula and Zyla in 13th, 18th and 20th, it was yet another strong team result for the Polish athletes, who could win yesterday's team competition in an impressive manner.

Freund loses yellow bib

Best athlete of the German Ski Association was Markus Eisenbichler in sixth. Eisenbichler, who already proved on Saturday that he can do well on the hill in the Vogtland-Arena, could have achieved even more with a better first jump. The athlete of Bavaria is in a really good shape right now.

It didn't go that well for Severin Freund, who surprised with extremely strong performances in Kuusamo. Freund finished 11th and is now second in the overall World Cup, behind Domen Prevc. With his win in Klingenthal, his second win this winter, the younger Prevc is now in the lead of the overall World Cup and will wear the yellow leader's bib next weekend in Lillehammer (NOR).

Descombes Sevoie strong again, Klimov consistent

Vincent Descombes Sevoie could confirm his strong performance of Kuusamo. The Frenchman finished 10th and is still among the pre-qualified athletes. Russia's Evgeniy Klimov came in on a strong 16th place and also confirmed his very good results from the season opener in Kuusamo.

Canada and USA strong in the final

Mackenzie Boyd-Clowes convinced in 12th, Kevin Bickner proved his upward trend in 23rd.

Many top athletes not in the final

Many of last winter's top athletes are still not in their best shape. So Michael Hayboeck (AUT / 31st), Daiki Ito (JPN / 33rd), Roman Koudelka (36th) and Johann Andre Forfang (NOR / 43rd) where among those who failed to make the cut for the final in Klingenthal.

Moment of shock for Vojtech Stursa

Czech youngster Vojtech Stursa provided a moment of shock. After a crash after the landing of his first jump he had to be carried out of the outrun. But it became clear relatively soon that he didn't suffer any serious injuries. Stursa was even able to participate in the final round and came in 28th.

Finns not in the final

It was a disappointing day for the two Finnish athletes in Klingenthal. Jarkko Maeaettae (41st) and Janne Ahonen (45th) could not qualify for the final of the best 30 jumpers. Head coach Andreas Mitter and the Finnish team will face some difficult times.

The next two ski jumping World Cups will be held next weekend in Lillehammer (NOR). This is a replacement venue for the two competitions, which were scheduled for Nizhny Tagil (RUS), but later moved to Norway by the International Ski Federation FIS. 

Full Results Here

Domen Prevc 2nd round

Federer91    183

Peter Prevc with another bad jump, it is so unusual seeing him so far back. :mumble:On the other hand Domen killed it once again. :d

rybak    239
54 minuty temu, rybak napisał:

Stoch and Kot again will be fourth and fifth? :mumble:

Alright :d

hckosice    891

Lundby takes the victory, Takanashi takes the record

15380381_10154176632372151_4388513244193

Maren Lundby celebrated her first world cup victory at today´s competition in Nizhny Tagil (RUS). The 22-year old Norwegian performed a great comeback and climbed up the ranking from 6th to first place in the final round. Jumps to 91,5 and 95,5 meters brought her 229,6 points and the win ahead of Daniela Iraschko-Stolz and Sara Takanashi.

Lundby´s dream comes true

Lundby said afterwards: „Im am very happy today and a little bit nervous. This was my dream and my goal for many years. I didn’t expect to win after the first round but my second jump was really good.“ Austria´s Daniela Iraschko-Stolz was not less happy after her performance with jumps to 96,0 and 92,0 meters. 5,5 points where missing to the top. „I’m feeling very good right now. My jumps are getting better and better since Lillehammer and my knee feels better then i expected. But I am also glad that we will have a little break now before the next competitions.“

Takanashi with new hill record

Sara Takanashi seemed on the best way to the third victory of the season after setting a new hill record with 102,0 meters in the first round. Only 86,0 meters in the final took her advantage away. With a score of 218,3 points Takanashi finished third. „I was surprised after the first round because I did not know it was a new hill record. My second jump was not that good. I will try to do better tomorrow again.“ Teammate Yuki Ito, twice second in Lillehammer, came in fourth this time with her best jump to 88,0 meters in the final round.

Japan and Austria very strong

Jaqueline Seifriedsberger on 5th place with 208,4 points underlined the Austrian-Japanese dominance. Ema Klinec confirmed her good training performance and was the best Slovenian on 6th place, Coline Mattel from France performed very steady and came in 7th.

German team steady

Even though a few meters where missing to the podium, the German team still is on a good way with Katharina Althaus coming in 8th and Svenja Wuerth, Carina Vogt and Anna Rupprecht on places 11, 12 and 13. The Russian athletes could not quite satisfy the hopes of the home ground. After a very strong first jump and place four Anastasiya Barannikova still dropped down to 19 place. So Irina Avvakumova was the best Russian on 9th place. Japan´s Yuka Seto completed the top ten. Sarah Hendrickson from USA struggled a little with the Nizhny Tagil hill and came 14th, just ahead of the three Slovenians Maja Vtic, Nika Kriznar and Spela Rogelj. Manuela Malsiner was the best Italian, finishing 21st followed by the best French jumper Lea Lemare and Romania´s Daniela Haralambie.

Henrich and Kykkaenen scoring

Taylor Henrich on 26th place and Julia Kykkaenen on 27th place secured points for Canada and Finland. The second competition in Nizhny Tagil is starting on Sunday at 2.30 pm (10.30 am CET) with the qualification.

Full Results Here