website statistics

Women's Bandy FIB World Championship 2020

Totallympics

Group A

:wFIN::wNOR::wRUS::wSWE::wUSA:

Group B

:wEST::wJPN::wSUI:

China withdrew due to coronavirus.

Japan will participate for the first time.

Top-4 teams from Group A will go to the semifinals.

It's 10th women's WCH. All previous tournaments finised with the final game Sweden vs. Russia. Sweden won 8 times, Russia won 1 time. Norway won bronze 5 times, Finland won bronze 4 times.

Edited by Dmitry

@Dmitry So are the teams in Group B cannot win a medal? I’m assuming there’s some kind of promotion ladder or something. I’m familiar with the teams and sport of Brady, but I’m not sure about the format. 

Either way, Sweden should cruise to victory. Especially after they upset Russia at the Universaide last winter. I’d put money on Norway to finish 3rd. Finland and US could maybe have an actual battle to see who gets 4th. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

20 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Dmitry So are the teams in Group B cannot win a medal? I’m assuming there’s some kind of promotion ladder or something. I’m familiar with the teams and sport of Brady, but I’m not sure about the format. 

Either way, Sweden should cruise to victory. Especially after they upset Russia at the Universaide last winter. I’d put money on Norway to finish 3rd. Finland and US could maybe have an actual battle to see who gets 4th. 

The winner of the Group B will play vs. the last team in Group A for 5th place. 

1st day's results

Norway 1-1 USA. Norway won the penalty shootout 2-1

Finland 0-1 Sweden

Russia 6-0 USA

Norway 2-1 Finland

Sweden 3-2 Russia

Estonia 10-2 Switzerland

Japan 5-0 Switzerland

Japan 3-2 Estonia

11 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

The winner of the Group B will play vs. the last team in Group A for 5th place. 

1st day's results

Norway 1-1 USA. Norway won the penalty shootout 2-1

Finland 0-1 Sweden

Russia 6-0 USA

Norway 2-1 Finland

Sweden 3-2 Russia

Estonia 10-2 Switzerland

Japan 5-0 Switzerland

Japan 3-2 Estonia

Damn, We really could have used that victory over Norway. We’ll play for 5th now probably. If I’m not mistaken, Japan has already won group b? Quite an impressive showing for their first world championships.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Damn, We really could have used that victory over Norway. We’ll play for 5th now probably. If I’m not mistaken, Japan has already won group b? Quite an impressive showing for their first world championships.

In Group B teams will play each other two times 

4 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

In Group B teams will play each other two times 

So Estonia is still in this thing then. Japan v. Estonia might be a great game then. I’m quite glad to see some close results for a change too.

2nd day results

Finland 1-3 Russia

Sweden 8-0 USA

Russia 2-0 Norway

USA 2-3 Finland

Norway 1-11 Sweden

Switzerland 0-3 Japan

Estonia 7-2 Switzerland

Japan 7-6 Estonia

Round robin games are played 2 x 30 minutes and play offs 2 x 45 minutes.

PLAY-OFF

Semifinals

RUS-NOR

SWE-FIN

5th place

USA-JPN

7th place

EST-SWI

We’ve actually had some close results this tournament, which is great :thumbup:

Looking at tomorrow’s games:

The semifinals are as cut and paste as they’ve been in years passed. Finland only lost to Sweden by one goal, so the ability to upset is there. Norway also has home advantage against Russia, but I actually feel like Russia is a safe bet for the final. 

USA v. JPN is quite an intriguing match. I think we’ll beat Japan, but it’s hard to say since we’ve never played them at the world championships level before. 

Estonia should roll over Switzerland.