website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Another snub I just thought about was Knives Out. It and “The Two Popes” really deserve more nominations than they got. :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Another snub I just thought about was Knives Out. It and “The Two Popes” really deserve more nominations than they got. :(

A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood was snubbed too. I’m not really a fan of the nominations this year. Their not that diverse, a lot of them beat out better films simply because of prestige. New actors/actresses not really rewarded. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I feel like the people that say Joker is the BEST MOVIE EVAH is the same people outraged about Avengers Endgame getting only one nomination for the Oscars.

Of course, saying Joker is mediocre is also silly. The truth is in between.

2 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Or if you give one star (=total trash) to Joker then you have never watched any really bad movie :p

Yeah, it's more of 6/10 movie for me, but still I very much agree with the expressed sentiment. :p

#banbestmen

Talking about Joker...

I watched the korean movie and it conveys the same message as Joker (strong criticism of meritocratic society) in a more subtle (and in my opinion stronger) way. 

But of course, Joker is about a popular comic book villian with an A-list Hollywood protagonist.

I know this is a “review” (though there’s a more true review he did, and this is the response to that review) of an old movie, but it makes a lot of good points as to why the Oscars lack of non-white male representation is an issue. Definitely worth 15 minutes of your time. It puts a really interesting perspective on how racism works in the United States, and why I use they word so liberally. I think it’s important because there seems to be a lot of confusion for members of this forum as to how racism works.