website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is it correct that Enzo Kuworge :NED has a (small) chance left to qualify in the +109kg via the junior worlds? And if so, what exactly does he need to do there? Or, you know, as 'exactly' as possible :p 

I think it's impossible, to have a small chance he has at least to overtake Nagy, and couldn't be enough, 390 points over him, I would say no chance for him. 

15 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

I think it's impossible, to have a small chance he has at least to overtake Nagy, and couldn't be enough, 390 points over him, I would say no chance for him. 

But that's possible (if unlikely). What I want to know is if it's still theoretically possible and if so, what he has to do in terms of weights.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Is it correct that Enzo Kuworge :NED has a (small) chance left to qualify in the +109kg via the junior worlds? And if so, what exactly does he need to do there? Or, you know, as 'exactly' as possible :p 

he can't make it to top 8. that's for sure. the best he can do is to surpass the Israeli athlete right above himself in the ranking (that's quite possible) and then he has to wait for other countries to make their choices. lots of countries above him have limited number of quotas and some other options in other weights.

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

he can't make it to top 8. that's for sure. the best he can do is to surpass the Israeli athlete right above himself in the ranking (that's quite possible) and then he has to wait for other countries to make their choices. lots of countries above him have limited number of quotas and some other options in other weights.

And surpassing the Israeli athlete is what he can do by somehow, with some miracle, lift a total of roughly 441kg? I know exact weights are usually not really possible to say because of the system, but maybe sort of a range is possible to know when he has a chance :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And surpassing the Israeli athlete is what he can do by somehow, with some miracle, lift a total of roughly 441kg? I know exact weights are usually not really possible to say because of the system, but maybe sort of a range is possible to know when he has a chance :d 

no no, he needs much less ! IWF website (and its ranking section) is not working properly for me right now. :facepalm::wall:I can't give you an accurate answer. but I think something around 410-415 is enough for that purpose.

he needs some big big lifts if he wants to surpass Nagy (HUN) and Orcag (CZE) to increase his chance massively but that's beyond his capacities. he better only focus on the Israeli guy.

Vietnam is now (or will be) banned from the Olympic weightlifting

https://www.iwf.net/2021/05/28/ita-refers-weightlifting-federation-vietnam-sanctioned-independent-panel-due-multiple-violations/

IWF also updates its ranking with Colombia event results and World Juniors results so far.

Weightlifting would be our best shot at getting a medal at Tokyo. I know it is for the best to save weightlifting at Olympics and also for the sake of IOC's integrity but it is heartbreaking to see our athletes (still training and hoping to go to Tokyo soon) fail to qualify just because of some stupid young athletes.

Currently, I doubt that our federation has the ability to test young athletes regularly, let alone has a doping scheme.

31 minutes ago, River Knight said:

Weightlifting would be our best shot at getting a medal at Tokyo. I know it is for the best to save weightlifting at Olympics and also for the sake of IOC's integrity but it is heartbreaking to see our athletes (still training and hoping to go to Tokyo soon) fail to qualify just because of some stupid young athletes.

Currently, I doubt that our federation has the ability to test young athletes regularly, let alone has a doping scheme.

Welcome to the forum @River Knight. Nice to see new comer from Asia, especially my nearest neighbor, I am from Guangxi by the way.