website statistics

Biathlon 2021 - 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Interesting look at the number of stages different resorts hosted IBU official competitions in the last 6 seasons.

Osrblie doing everything to receive that World Cup invitation even by saving IBU by replacing other resorts at the last moments...but it still not enough.

Last time Osrblie hosted World Cup was in 2003. Last World Championship Osrblie hosted was in 1997

podujatia-osrblie-16-17_21-22__2.png

8 hours ago, hckošice said:

Interesting look at the number of stages different resorts hosted IBU official competitions in the last 6 seasons.

Osrblie doing everything to receive that World Cup invitation even by saving IBU by replacing other resorts at the last moments...but it still not enough.

Last time Osrblie hosted World Cup was in 2003. Last World Championship Osrblie hosted was in 1997

podujatia-osrblie-16-17_21-22__2.png

Osrblie has no snow most of the time. Even now at the IBU Cup everything is brown and green around. The World Cups in the past were regularly cancelled due to lack of snow. And if places like Nove Mesto or Le Grand Bornand don't get any space every year despite the masses of spectators, then it becomes difficult for such places. Otepää is now a newcomer.

37 minutes ago, JonPhi said:

Osrblie has no snow most of the time. Even now at the IBU Cup everything is brown and green around. The World Cups in the past were regularly cancelled due to lack of snow. And if places like Nove Mesto or Le Grand Bornand don't get any space every year despite the masses of spectators, then it becomes difficult for such places. Otepää is now a newcomer.

You must be confusing with another place. Do not know when was the last time Osrblie had no snow, but that must have been pretty long time ago. In opposite as far as I remember the races were always on natural snow.

Yeah, this week there no snow (Last week there actually still was, and a lot) but the forecast for next week predict that should be everything white around the venue again.

Also not sure Osrblie will be infinitely willing to jump in and replace others every time the IBU will call and begs and Osrblie will then get nothing for it as compensation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 10:46 AM, Topicmaster1010 said:

Does anybody know what's the status of :SLO Lena Repinc and :KOR Anna Frolina? They're both in Olympic qualifying position on the points list but neither of them have results from this year.

A bit late to answer but :

- Repinc has been injured (still is ?). She raced in Slovenia in December and appeared internationally (but at home) for the Junior European Championships where she has clearly seemed off the pace. Not too far back the others but not remotely close to what she have been doing last season. 

- Frolina is pregnant. Given her age the question is will she come back ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this deserves a separate thread.  Retirements - 

USA - Susan Dunklee and Claire Egan - Both announced this prior to the season.

I assume there are a few others that I am not aware of.  Speculations:

Simon Eder?

Tarjei Boe?

Tiril Eckhoff about retirement - "“Ehhh … I don’t dare answer that.  It’s a terrible time, and during this time I need to think about a few other things.”

Marte Olsbu Roiseland - "I'm starting to get older.  I need to think a little about what I want to do in the future.  Biathlon is incredibly fun.  I just wish I was younger.  This was probably my last Olympics.  It's been a long journey to get here, I've been doing it for years.  I need to have something to choose from after the Olympics.  And this is what I will be looking for after the Holmenkollen." 

Sporting Director  Per Arne Botnan - "Of course, we hope that they [Eckhoff and Roiseland] want to continue for a while, and Tarjei said that he will probably stick on another season or two."

Dorothea Wierer - "Everyone dreams of taking part in the Olympic Games at home. But you have to be realistic. I don't know if I'll make it there"  As for retirement "she will think about it after the season."