website statistics

Triathlon at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

18 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Moral of story: Must have blue white and red on your flag to win a triathlon flag

Huh our team missed that memo

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Huh our team missed that memo

Im so tired I meant to write medal. All countries that won a medal have blue white and red on their flag xd

Too bad Netherlands couldn't join them, maybe 2024 if the pattern holds true

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I mean relays in any sport is essentially a test of a nation's depth so it makes sense that big nations medal.

Yes, but you don't need a mixed relay for that. Mixed relays were always promoted as a way for smaller nations, that don't have enough elite athletes for traditional relays, to compete for a medal. At the moment most mixed relays are basically just another free medal for the big nations and don't add any new dimension to the program. I think that mixed archery doubles is a good example of a mixed event that makes sense, swimming mixed medley relays for example are the complete opposite.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Yes, but you don't need a mixed relay for that. Mixed relays were always promoted as a way for smaller nations, that don't have enough elite athletes for traditional relays, to compete for a medal. At the moment most mixed relays are basically just another free medal for the big nations and don't add any new dimension to the program. I think that mixed archery doubles is a good example of a mixed event that makes sense, swimming mixed medley relays for example are the complete opposite.

The difference is that there isn't a separate men's/women's relay in triathlon so at least it isn't as useless as the athletics/swimming relays.

Regardless I don't think the event is necessary because you are essentially forcing standard race triathletes to compete in a sprint triathlon (though there's a lot of overlap)

Mixed Team Relay
Final Results

:GBR  Great Britain
Jessica Learmonth
Jonathan Brownlee
Georgia Taylor-Brown
Alex Yee 
1:23.41

:USA  United States
Katie Zaferes
Kevin McDowell
Taylor Knibb