website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2021

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Watching the competition now, this time with Eurosport's English commentators to change things up a bit, but wow....they are...not very good, are they? "A miss, normally she'd hit 20/20 in this race!"

No, nobody 'normally hits 20/20' in a 20-shot race.

It was an all-time low for Winterton & Dixon just when I gave them a chance after the Polish crew went into blabber mode. They focused on Clare Egan's medal chances when Davidova was 50 secs ahead of her and leading the damn charts :p What were they looking at other than ignoring Eastern Europeans by default?

Situation: Alimbekava arrives at shooting 4, with 1:20 minutes or so to spare on Wierer, the current fastest after the shooting.

Commentators: "An accurate shoot, and a quick one, and she could be moving up into the top-2."

Come on, she can take two extra breaths for every shot and still easily move in first if she hits all five...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Commentators missing Hauser screwing up by missing the 19th and 20th shot, TV director missing Wierer taking the lead, what a mess :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

It was an all-time low for Winterton & Dixon just when I gave them a chance after the Polish crew went into blabber mode. They focused on Clare Egan's medal chances when Davidova was 50 secs ahead of her and leading the damn charts :p What were they looking at other than ignoring Eastern Europeans by default?

I'd normally gladly listen to former biathlete Herbert Cool's Dutch commentary, but I'm not as happy about it anymore since he blocked me on Twitter due to sometimes sending a question (which he generally asks for during the broadcasts) and sending in some possibly interesting tidbits which, according to him, couldn't be fact checked (yeah not sure if Baiba Bendika having a new rifle was in any news article, but since she was the source herself, I'm assuming she's correct). Too bad.

German TV is excellent, but sadly I can't watch that on-demand without going though possible major spoilers, so Eurosport Player with the Brits it is :d 

But yeah. Not great.

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'd normally gladly listen to former biathlete Herbert Cool's Dutch commentary, but I'm not as happy about it anymore since he blocked me on Twitter due to sometimes sending a question (which he generally asks for during the broadcasts) and sending in some possibly interesting tidbits which, according to him, couldn't be fact checked (yeah not sure if Baiba Bendika having a new rifle was in any news article, but since she was the source herself, I'm assuming she's correct). Too bad.

German TV is excellent, but sadly I can't watch that on-demand without going though possible major spoilers, so Eurosport Player with the Brits it is :d 

But yeah. Not great.

ARD/ZDF used to always run a special German-only feed and I got tired of that many moons ago so I don't watch biathlon there anymore. I'm fine with ES though either Polish or English crew tend to annoy me from time to time and I switch them. Going with the English guys today was a BAD choice :p

So, you have a quick line to Baiba Bendika news? ;)

so, we (Italians) can call ourselves the lucky side in this case...:lol:

our Eurosport commentators are by far the best I've ever listened to...and I have switched in the past 30 years or so from different Italian TV networks (public and private) to the German public TV, from the German Eurosport crew to the British Eurosport crew and occasionally also the Austrian ORF, the Swiss (Italian speaking) TV and the French guys on L'Equipe21 (not counting Czech and Slovak public networks, since I don't understand almost anything except for the numbers and very few words)...

long live Dario Puppo and Max Ambesi...:cheer:

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

To be fair they are both sitting in separate locations in Scotland and commenting off the screen, so they are not always able to work together the way they normally do.  There’s already been a few races this year when they couldn’t contact at all & someone in ES Paris has had to take over.

I do agree, that even with my Egan bias, the producer and commentators had a hard time today. 

Hauser and Weirer tie on points for the Crystal Globe, with it going to Hauser.

Egan and Dunklee were in the provisional start list for the Mass start, but Egan has now been replaced for the time being.

13 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

To be fair they are both sitting in separate locations in Scotland and commenting off the screen, so they are not always able to work together the way they normally do.  There’s already been a few races this year when they couldn’t contact at all & someone in ES Paris has had to take over.

Winterton missed like 95% of the women's sprint and only joined the broadcast right at the end. However it takes a lot of skill to notice Egan 15/15 and miss Davidova 15/15 who was leading the damn race :lol: However you can get carried away in the booth, Polish ES commentator in alpine skiing spend the majority of Kira Weidle's DH run talking about Thomas Dressen's DH medal chances and came back to Weidle 5 secs. before the finish when he suddenly realized she can win a medal too :p

5 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I do agree, that even with my Egan bias, the producer and commentators had a hard time today. 

Hauser and Weirer tie on points for the Crystal Globe, with it going to Hauser.

Egan and Dunklee were in the provisional start list for the Mass start, but Egan has now been replaced for the time being.

Actually both Wierer & Hauser won the small globe together ;)