website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

Spare me the safety excuse. It's all down to poor marketing. Ice hockey is one sport that doesn't give a damn about Asia and never has. Therefore NHL will never allow its players to compete in Asian-based WOG. It was the case in Pyeongchang and it will be repeated in Beijing IMO.

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Spare me the safety excuse. It's all down to poor marketing. Ice hockey is one sport that doesn't give a damn about Asia and never has. Therefore NHL will never allow its players to compete in Asian-based WOG. It was the case in Pyeongchang and it will be repeated in Beijing IMO.

Remind me again what continent Nagano is on :d

If the NHL ever wants to make inroads into Asia, this is it.  China, needless to say, is a slightly larger market than Korea, so that may make a difference.  But they'll likely use whatever excuses they can think of to avoid making it happen

22 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Remind me again what continent Nagano is on :d

If the NHL ever wants to make inroads into Asia, this is it.  China, needless to say, is a slightly larger market than Korea, so that may make a difference.  But they'll likely use whatever excuses they can think of to avoid making it happen

Nagano was different because it was the first time NHL players actually showed up at the Olympics. Grass is always greener on the other side. It's like the 1992 & 1996 NBA Dream Teams when USA actually send their BEST players to show who's the boss. Fast forward twenty five years and most of the next US basketball teams were B+ players because most stars "needed" a rest or don't bother playing at the Olympics.

China might follow NBA after the Yao Ming craze but ice hockey is one sport they don't care about at all IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Next week (next Thursday) we will know if the NHLers will play at the Olympics. NHL will release its next season schedule, they are working now with 2 versions, one with a 2 week break (for Olympics) and one without break (No Olympics)...

IOC agreed to pay 11 millions for the insurance and travel costs, NHL now stepped back because fear of coronavirus and eventual quarantine of infected players returning from China...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-nhls-olympic-participation-stands-off-season-begins/

9 hours ago, hckošice said:

Next week (next Thursday) we will know if the NHLers will play at the Olympics. NHL will release its next season schedule, they are working now with 2 versions, one with a 2 week break (for Olympics) and one without break (No Olympics)...

IOC agreed to pay 11 millions for the insurance and travel costs, NHL now stepped back because fear of coronavirus and eventual quarantine of infected players returning from China...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-nhls-olympic-participation-stands-off-season-begins/

Well, I have already been working with the scenario that Beijing 2022 will be postponed till 2023. My contacts from OC have not replied yet but volunteer page no available, tickets not released yet..... I am afraid they have already been working on this scenario..... So this NHL decision might be pointless if this counts for 2023...

1 hour ago, Jan Linha said:

Well, I have already been working with the scenario that Beijing 2022 will be postponed till 2023. My contacts from OC have not replied yet but volunteer page no available, tickets not released yet..... I am afraid they have already been working on this scenario..... So this NHL decision might be pointless if this counts for 2023...

It will not be postponed as far as I'm concerned. It will be held in bubble. This is what I heard.

25 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

It will not be postponed as far as I'm concerned. It will be held in bubble. This is what I heard.

Well, I am hoping it won't be postponed. But I am really surprised they haven't released any tix ..... About bubble, there is no doubt about, just like in Japan ..... But do you have any intel about spectators? Do you think at least domestic fans will be allowed?

17 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Well, I am hoping it won't be postponed. But I am really surprised they haven't released any tix ..... About bubble, there is no doubt about, just like in Japan ..... But do you have any intel about spectators? Do you think at least domestic fans will be allowed?

I don't know yet if it will allow domestic spectators. I think we both hope it will be open for spectators but who knows. We may only have answer until the winter season begin with test events.

I live in Beijing and everything is pretty much normal here now, and has been for months (there was a little scare in February, something like 6 confirmed cases).  I can see them barring international visitors, but there's no reason to postpone if Tokyo is going forward and they're in a much tougher spot.  China has strict quarantine rules (3 weeks mandatory government observed quarantine) but they want to reopen borders with some countries.  The issue right now is other countries accepting the Chinese vaccinations as legit.  Postponing the Olympics would pretty much be admitting that the Chinese one is not legit.  I'd be really surprised if they postponed it.

2 hours ago, orangeman said:

I live in Beijing and everything is pretty much normal here now, and has been for months (there was a little scare in February, something like 6 confirmed cases).  I can see them barring international visitors, but there's no reason to postpone if Tokyo is going forward and they're in a much tougher spot.  China has strict quarantine rules (3 weeks mandatory government observed quarantine) but they want to reopen borders with some countries.  The issue right now is other countries accepting the Chinese vaccinations as legit.  Postponing the Olympics would pretty much be admitting that the Chinese one is not legit.  I'd be really surprised if they postponed it.

Cool. That's some relieving news ..... Probably OC is waiting for more further steps and important decisions after they see the result from Tokyo ...