website statistics

Volleyball Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

LDOG

2 horas atrás, vinipereira disse:

Apparently these will be the Olympic groups, pending on the team that will get the last spot.

13237602_10204774582644175_5608120982979

Well, we are favorites against all teams in the group B, except the USA, but these confrontations give me a fear, mainly because of our terrible history playing as the host country.

Puerto Rico defeats Colombia in straight sets, so only an unlikely upset by Kenya will prevent the "boricuas" from going to Rio...

In other results, the Dominican Republic are having a good performance in their last game, currently dominating the Koreans.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb vinipereira:

Apparently these will be the Olympic groups, pending on the team that will get the last spot.

13237602_10204774582644175_5608120982979

Group B is clearly stronger in my opinion. In group A Brazil and Russia should finish top 2, ahead of Japan and South Korea. On the womens side USA should win the group, China/Serbia should finish 2nd and 3rd, but the fight for the 4th spot could be very open, i still would put my money on Italy.

I think the fight for the 2nd spot in group B will be most interesting, everyone will try to avoid Russia/Brazil in the quartefinal. On paper Russia, Brazil and USA are the clear favorites in my opinion, but it would be cool to see one out of Italy/Serbia/Netherlands on the podium. I think its safe to say that only 3 european teams will reach the quarterfinal, which is fair, considering the strength of Brazil/USA/China/Japan/South Korea, but in my opinion the tournament wouldve been more interesting with 2 out of Turkey/Germany/Thailand/Dominican Republic instead of Cameroon and Colombia.

Edit: Its really sad to see how weak Cuba has become, in the past Cuba was a real powerhouse in volleyball.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Now it seems that for the Intercontinental Tournament, Tunisia will have a good advantage; Mexico and Chile are playing terrible at the Pan American Cup, so if theyd on't improve in the classification matches, then Africa is likely to have a second team in Rio.