website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

dcro

9 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Now Turkey and Iran. The thing is she can’t make the Christmas races in Turkey because her manager is busy at Christmas and no one else can take her there. So then there’s 2 races in Turkey and 2 in Iran at the same time. She could possibly do 3 in Turkey but it would be rough timing. So would you say Iran just because of the points? Last year only 6 women showed up, so it’s a bit risky in terms of numbers.

It's a tough choice. But my experience tells me that those who score around 400 in mainland Europe don't have problems at races in exotic countries, so she should still make it in Turkey.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

She would need to finish relatively close to them. I would go for the "easier" field

9 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's a tough choice. But my experience tells me that those who score around 400 in mainland Europe don't have problems at races in exotic countries, so she should still make it in Turkey.

Apparently Iran might be moved to another date. If that happens she can do both. If not I guess we’ll see how likely Iran can be run successfully- the points do look very attractive, and she’ll be doing many Balkan races anyway. So far she’s just done Scandinavia/ Western Europe.

Thanks everyone!

4 minutes ago, intoronto said:

She would need to finish relatively close to them. I would go for the "easier" field

Definitely go for the easier field, although the main 'advantage' of those Balkan races is that it's more likely there will be at least five athletes (basically 99% sure I'd say), which is needed to get FIS points.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Definitely go for the easier field, although the main 'advantage' of those Balkan races is that it's more likely there will be at least five athletes (basically 99% sure I'd say), which is needed to get FIS points.

I hope both can happen. But yeah. You never know. We’ll confirm if Iran is viable. Travel and visa costs are also a factor.

Oh um Bogota winner was like 220 points. Still ok?

5 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

I hope both can happen. But yeah. You never know. We’ll confirm if Iran is viable. Travel and visa costs are also a factor.

Oh um Bogota winner was like 220 points. Still ok?

Mass starts also have different 'factors' than intervals starts, just  like sprints.

In regular interval starts it seems like 140 FIS points is the start for any race. I challenge everyone here to find an interval race which had more than 140.80 points for the winner. :p

#banbestmen

44 minutes ago, dcro said:

Mass starts also have different 'factors' than intervals starts, just  like sprints.

In regular interval starts it seems like 140 FIS points is the start for any race. I challenge everyone here to find an interval race which had more than 140.80 points for the winner. :p

Ah. You’re right! Makes sense now. That’s very good then!

The winners of those races tend to get 300-350 points in other races. So I hope Manikala can maybe get 220-250 in those two races. 

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

11 hours ago, dcro said:

Challenge accepted :p

https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/results.html?sector=CC&competitorid=194536&raceid=29688

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!