website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

30 minutes ago, Майкл said:

IOC decided that athletes coming from Kenya/Russia to Rio will have to be declared compliant by the IAAF if they are to compete.

Athletics from every sport that is, not only athletics.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Athletics from every sport that is, not only athletics.

I think all athletes from all countries need to go through additional controls. Maybe it is good way to reduce the number of cases.

1 minute ago, dareza said:

I think all athletes from all countries need to go through additional controls. Maybe it is good way to reduce the number of cases.

I would definitely be in favour of every single athlete from every single nation in every single sport receiving a ton of extra doping controls. However, most doping is probably used in training and not in the competitions, so they really should get that going by now since most hard work is already done.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I would definitely be in favour of every single athlete from every single nation in every single sport receiving a ton of extra doping controls. However, most doping is probably used in training and not in the competitions, so they really should get that going by now since most hard work is already done.. 

And not every PED or other substances are on WADA's list, re: meldonium.

I don't understand how russian athletes could compete under the russian flag when there is no IAAF recognised russian athletics federation at the moment.

You may remember the case of the franco-togolese canoeist who won a medal in Beijing. They had to create a togolese canoeing federation from scratch and makes it recognised by the ICF for him to participate under the togolese colors.

And how russian athletes are supposely to make the olympics standards to start with ?

That's very confusing 

3 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

I don't understand how russian athletes could compete under the russian flag when there is no IAAF recognised russian athletics federation at the moment.

You may remember the case of the franco-togolese canoeist who won a medal in Beijing. They had to create a togolese canoeing federation from scratch and makes it recognised by the ICF for him to participate under the togolese colors.

And how russian athletes are supposely to make the olympics standards to start with ?

That's very confusing 

It comes from the fact that the Russian Olympic Committee is not banned, only a single federation. Even then the Russian athletics federation is not completely suspended as some athletes are allowed to compete. To the IOC, because the IAAF is allowing some Russians to compete this is more like a heavy suspension where the name, officials and the vast majority of athletes are banned.

In other words the IOC is using a previous rule to prevent suspended federations from competing independently. It is either be fully banned or limited participation under the Russia flag.

In the end pretty much all russian athletes will be allowed to compete, even someone as disgusting as Isinbaeva. Thomas Bach will never have the guts to exclude Russia so he will find a way that some no-name russian athletes will be excluded while all the big-name russian athletes will be allowed to compete and then they will steal medals from clean athletes. IOC is at least as bad as FIFA, hopefully Bach will soon be gone. The results of the russian championships clearly show that nothing changed, tons of russian athletes made huge improvements out of nowhere.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Wow, what shame :sick: For an italian sport newspaper, Alex Schwazer was - again - posite to doping. 

I don't know if its a marketing move but the Gazzetta is the most important sport source in Italy.

Tomorrow I'll buy the newspaper for know the details