website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's gonna be an awesome fight in Rio with several potential 7m+ jumpers all at once :) 

Reese, Bartoletta, Proctor, Nettey, Spanovic, Okagbare(?). I hope Ivana will win at least bronze. She deserve medal. She was great in period between 2013-2016.

Edited by dareza

That strawberry in Oslo :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, dareza said:

yes. Reese, Bartoletta, Proctor, Nettery, Spanovic, Okagbare(?). I hope Ivana will win at least bronze. She deserve medal. She was great in period between 2013-2016.

Out of those, Spanovic would definitely be in my top-3 anyway given her usual shape at major champs :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 2 Stunden schrieb heywoodu:

I see Storl only had 2 competitions so far this year, is he injured or something? I really hope not, shot put can be one of the best fights in Rio. 

Yes he was injured and therefore also didnt compete indoor this year but he also has a different approach this year. Last year he had about 15 competitions before Beijing and he competed a lot in the diamond league, this year he only wants to compete 6 or 7 times before Rio, because he wasnt able to peak in Beijing last year and doesnt want the same to happen again. Storl was always known for performing at his best at big competitions, but in 2015 he wasnt able to do that.

In 2011 he entered the world championships with 21.05 m and then improved to 21.78

In 2012 he entered the olympic games with 21.58 m and then improved to 21.86

In 2013 he entered the world championships with 21.04 m and then improved to 21.73

In 2015 he entered the world championships with 22.20 m and then ... only had 21.74 m in Beijing.

He said that he competed with strong pain in many of his competitions last year and he still managed to set a new PB, although he couldnt use his normal technique due to the pain. He took a long break and wont compete much before Rio in order to "stop" the pain, but he will be again using his favorite technique and not the technique he used last year. I hope that he will be at about 21.60-21.80 before Rio, then he should be at about 22.20-22.40 by Rio.

Just as a comparison: Majewski improved by 2 cm in 2015 (20.80 to 20.82), by 9 cm in 2013 (20.89 to 20.98), by 29 cm in 2012 (21.60 to 21.89), didnt improve in 2011 (he entered with 21.60 and had a mark of 20.73 in qualification + 20.18 in the final), didnt improve in 2009 (he entered with 21.95 and had a mark of 21.91 in the final) and improved by 54 cm in 2008 (20.97 to 21.51).

About Bukowiecki: So ou really think that he can improve by about 0.4 m and that 21.50 m will be enough for a medal? For me both seems very unlikely ...

Last year it took 21.69 to win a medal and i dont see why 21.50 m should be enough for a medal this year, i think Kovacs and Storl will be at 22 m and Walsh should also be somehwere between 21.60 and 21.80 m and a couple of other guys should also be at 21.60 or more.

So if you exclude 2008, then even the "genes of Majewski" wouldnt really help Bukowiecki, because improving by 29 cm at most would bring him to 21.43, which shouldnt be enough for a medal. Apart from the fact that your "comparison" doesnt work (because even the "genes of Majewski" wouldnt help him), it really bothers me that your comment is "meaningless" at best, because you would have to say by how much he needs to improve in your opinion to have a realistic medal chance and how likely it is in your opinion for that to happen.

About womens long jump: Its really interesting that no one even mentions the current world leader in womens long jump ...

I also still hope for Mihambo, but sadly she was injured for a pretty long time and probably wont be at 100% by Rio. My prediction would be gold for Reese, silver for Bartoletta and bronze for Proctor/Nettey/Spanovic, Proctor in my opinion has the best chance for bronze among those 3.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Great bit of athletics yesterday in Kingston.

Bolt 9.88, Blake and Ashmeade 9.94, Powell 9.98

SAFP 11.09

Miller 22.05 PB

Miguel Francis 19.88 PB

Van Niekerk and Merritt with a 31.03 and 31.23 300m, the third and fourth times in history behind only Johnson and Bolt :bowdown:

7 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

What shame for Canadian federation too :wacko: Why don't allow the clean athlete? It's an absurd decision and a lot of clean people can't compete in a lot of competition yet.

How to decide which athletes are clean when time and time again a federation is proven to be ridden with corruption and dirtyness?