website statistics

Summer Non-Olympic Sports Discussion Thread

Bearas

Damn, missed this live, but here’s the highlights.  From :FIN it’s the big one in the world of Wife-Carrying, the annual World Championships.  NB make sure you have the CC enabled, unless you speak Finnish.  The sport us somewhat misnamed, as the pairs need nit be husband & wife.

Edited by Grassmarket

• 1 month later...

The 12th korfball world championships were played in Taiwan, with all matches played in Taipei I believe. After 11 consecutive :NED - :BEL finals - with Belgium taking a legendary world title in 1991 and the Netherlands winning the other 10 - Belgium was actually knocked out in the semi's this time....by Taiwan :yikes: (which has been the 3rd country for a while already)

Today was the final, Netherlands - Taiwan, in which things went back to normal and the Netherlands took an easy win after a bit of a rough start: 27-11. Belgium finished in 3rd after beating :CZE 26-11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_IKF_World_Korfball_Championship

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The 12th korfball world championships were played in Taiwan, with all matches played in Taipei I believe. After 11 consecutive :NED - :BEL finals - with Belgium taking a legendary world title in 1991 and the Netherlands winning the other 10 - Belgium was actually knocked out in the semi's this time....by Taiwan :yikes: (which has been the 3rd country for a while already)

Today was the final, Netherlands - Taiwan, in which things went back to normal and the Netherlands took an easy win after a bit of a rough start: 27-11. Belgium finished in 3rd after beating :CZE 26-11.

Just realized we did participate :d That´s super Cool. But, why there not mercy rule in this sport when you face NED ? :p

394291647_18208002433262477_869351732208

15th place at WCh is I believe very solid result for a country where I literally find the word Korfball in a media only last week for the very first time in my life

So well done, Team :SVK whoever you are folks

64732a89-b886-4efa-8567-9c24336d262e.jpg

11 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Just realized we did participate :d That´s super Cool. But, why there not mercy rule in this sport when you face NED ? :p

394291647_18208002433262477_869351732208

15th place at WCh is I believe very solid result for a country where I literally find the word Korfball in a media only last week for the very first time in my life

So well done, Team :SVK whoever you are folks

64732a89-b886-4efa-8567-9c24336d262e.jpg

Mercy rule is for children's sports :d 

I'm surprised Slovakia was there, but even more positively surprised that it was actually even mentioned in the media there (no matter how small it is, it's interesting that it's mentioned) :cheer: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm surprised Slovakia was there, but even more positively surprised that it was actually even mentioned in the media there (no matter how small it is, it's interesting that it's mentioned) :cheer: 

:d

Yep, a day to remember. 23.10.2023

I found this article with 3 sentences, but still better than nothing I guess :d

Korfball - WCh: The match with the Czech Republic was fatal, Slovakia will not play for medals :p

Slovak national Team in korfball will not compete for medals at the WCh in Taiwan. They lost to the Czech Republic 13:21 on Monday in a direct battle for advancement to the quarterfinals. On Tuesday, Slovakia's next match against Catalonia will determine the final position in the super-round Group I. If successful, they will fight for the final 9-12. place, a loss will condemn them to the fights for 13.-16. the place.

image.png

image.png

Edited by hckošice

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This was also the qualification event for the 2025 World Games :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

49 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

This was also the qualification event for the 2025 World Games :d

Oh, so :NED qualified :yikes: 

:cheer: 

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh, so :NED qualified :yikes: 

:cheer: 

:NED:TPE:BEL:CZE:SUR:GER:POR should all be qualified, with one wildcard TBD since :CHN didn’t compete. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 4 months later...