website statistics

Boxing Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

i think they did it that fast so hopefully either Paquiao or Mayweather will suddenly choose to compete which wont happen. Countries with good boxers have their quota filled up pretty much (like russia). Don't think it will be very fair to put amateurs vs pros in Rio. I don't really watch boxing but that's what makes sense to me.... 

Pacquiao already said he won't try to qualify anyway.

Dutch Peter Müllenberg said he's not afraid at all of the pro's. "Our pace is way too high for them. By the time we finished our fight, they barely warmed up. We can take all of them."

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Pacquiao already said he won't try to qualify anyway.

Dutch Peter Müllenberg said he's not afraid at all of the pro's. "Our pace is way too high for them. By the time we finished our fight, they barely warmed up. We can take all of them."

I have heard that view quite a few times, that pro boxers won't be able to cope with the pace of the amateur game and that the 3 rounds as opposed to 12 will be a big advantage for the amateur boxers. I would be suprised if many pros actually compete in Rio, GB for sure will not send any pros to Rio 2016 and I hope other countries don't remove quota from amateurs and give it to pro athletes, considering they will not have contributed towards winning the quota in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

World Qualification Tournament in Baku (AZE)

Draw Sheets are out...

here you can already find all of them (no need for translation, since you can see the weights by yourself)...

http://www.fpi.it/ita-boxing/news/6713-parte-oggi-il-torneo-mondiale-di-qualificazione-olimpica-di-baku,-primi-due-azzurri-in-gara-domani-itaboxing-road2rio-noisiamoenergia.html

Edited by phelps

Unfortunately our (probably) best boxer apart from already qualified Müllenberg is in a weight with just 1 available quota..

Well, Müllenberg and Fontijn are both already qualified, which is one more than I expected, so if the three guys here in Baku can get a quota that would only be an even nicer surprise :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!