website statistics

Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

That seems like overkill. Maybe 9 or something? It’s important to remember that people will have very little time to adjudicate these matches. 

Yeah, but officiating just 1-2 matches for the whole Round of 16 seems way too little. :dunno:

Should be at least 3 for each judge (meaning 11 jurors per match).

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Probably somthing like 15.

With 7 some jurors would only be drawn for one R16 bout.

Yes so when I am allocating the judges I will have a better idea what suits. I'd like everyone to be involved in at least 2 of the 8 Round of 16 matches.

So that concludes today's action from Day 3 at the Totallympics International Song Contest - Special Event.

Here is a recap of today's results and the current standings in Groups D, E and F.

Day 3 (Mon 27 July)

Fixtures / Results

Group D

Monday, July 27th 2020, 13:00 (GMT +1)

:IRQ Iraq 4 vs 4  :MON Monaco

Monday, July 27th 2020, 13:30 (GMT +1)

:CIV Côte d'Ivoire 3 vs 5  :RSA South Africa

Nation P W D L VF VA VD Pts
 :RSA South Africa 3 3 0 0 15 9 +6 9
 :CRC Costa Rica 2 1 0 1 10 6 +4 3
 :CIV Côte d'Ivoire 2 1 0 1 8 8 0 3
 :IRQ Iraq 2 0 1 1 7 9 -2 1
 :MON Monaco 3 0 1 2 8 16 -8 1

Group E

Monday, July 27th 2020, 17:00 (GMT +1)

:CUB Cuba 4 vs 4  :CPV Cape Verde

Monday, July 27th 2020, 17:30 (GMT +1)

:TPE Chinese Taipei 3 vs 5  :MLI Mali

:CPV Cape Verde 3 2 1 0 16 8 +8 7
 :CUB Cuba 2 1 1 0 9 7 +2 4
 :MLI Mali 3 1 0 2 9 15 -6 3
 :TPE Chinese Taipei 2 0 1 1 7 9 -2 1
 :ISL Iceland 2 0 1 1 7 9 -2 1

Group F

Monday, July 27th 2020, 20:00 (GMT +1)

:ANG Angola 2 vs 6  :BAR Barbados

Monday, July 27th 2020, 20:30 (GMT +1)

:HKG Hong Kong 4 vs 4  :MKD North Macedonia

:BAR Barbados 3 2 1 0 16 8 +8 7
 :HKG Hong Kong 2 1 1 0 10 6 +4 4
 :MKD North Macedonia 3 0 3 0 12 12 0 3
 :ANG Angola 2 0 1 1 6 10 -4 1
 :BIZ Belize 2 0 0 2 4 12 -8 0

The good news from today's results is that unlike yesterday's action in Groups A, B and C, we haven't lost any more nations from the competition as a consequence of today's results. All teams in Groups D, E and F still have chances of making it through their group and into the knock-out phase.

Meanwhile, South Africa, Cape Verde and Barbados are all assured of at least a place in the repechages.

South Africa have become the first nation to win all 3 of their opening matches and even if the African nation end up in third place in their group, 9 points could very well be enough to make it through to the Round of 16 as a best 3rd place finisher, should they need to rely on that.

Elsewhere, Mali kept their chances of qualification alive in Group E with their first victory, while Cuba remain unbeaten in the same group, just behind table-toppers Cape Verde who are also unbeaten in 3 games.

But the drama of the day was again delivered in the match involving North Macedonia as they drew 4-4 with Hong Kong. A 3rd successive drawn game for North Macedonia means there is still 3 unbeaten teams in Group F. North Macedonia must be rueing throwing away yet another chance for a match win. In all 3 of their matches, they led 4-3 going into the final vote, but I guess Judge A just doesn't want to give them a break!

Here is a reminder of the match-ups coming up tomorrow when we begin the 4th round of matches in Groups A, B and C:

Day 4

Tuesday 28th July

Group A

Match 37 13:00: :BLR Belarus v Guinea :GUI

Match 38 13:30: :GIB Gibraltar v Jamaica :JAM

Group B

Match 39 17:00: :KIR Kiribati v Sri Lanka :SRI

Match 40 17:30: :SOM Somalia v Puerto Rico :PUR

Group C

Match 41 20:00: :ALB Albania v Zambia :ZAM

Match 42 20:30: :GUA Guatemala v Burundi :BDI

See you all tomorrow :)

3 hours ago, kungshamra71 said:

Cabo Verde! ?? 

fun fact: do you know that the word Saudade (which she sings, but in Cape Verde crioulo) has no direct translation in English? 

Neither in Spanish or other romance language as far I as I know.

1 minute ago, mrv86 said:

Neither in Spanish or other romance language as far I as I know.

in galician you actually have the word Saudade, but the meaning is quite different, the best approach to the portuguese one is "morriña", which is pretty much Saudade although a bit stronger and more depressive. 

Believe it or not, South Africa is still not mathematically qualified for the Round of 16. :d

Even with 9 points already on their tally, there is still a slight possibility of them placing 3rd in their group + 3rd placed nations from Groups A/C finishing on 9 pts and having better vote difference.

#banbestmen

hace 35 minutos, kungshamra71 dijo:

in galician you actually have the word Saudade, but the meaning is quite different, the best approach to the portuguese one is "morriña", which is pretty much Saudade although a bit stronger and more depressive. 

I just checked the dictionary and apparently the word "Saudade" appeared in the 1780 edition of the Spanish dictionary, translating literally the definition from the Portuguese dictionary: "Voz portuguesa, que segun su diccionario significa finísimo sentimiento del bien ausente, con deseo de poseerlo. Han usado algunos autores castellanos de esta voz." It was eliminated in 1817 and included again in the 1992 edition as a synonym of "morriña". To be honest I had never heard or read this word before in Spanish.

It's fascinating to see that Galician/Portugeuse make a distinction between "saudade" and "morriña" when both words describe so similar emotional situations.