website statistics

Athletics WA Under 20 World Championships 2024

George_D

1 hour ago, SalamAkhi said:

Järvinen and Trościanka very impressive. A shame Gräber could not compete. +8000 u20 decathletes tend to fare quite well later so this is a good sign for the future of the sport if this was still needed.

I hope their career will be great. Its quite crazy that Czechia had so many talents in junior level last years (World or European champions Sykora, Dolezal, Doubek), but we are still waiting for 8400+ decathlete in senior level in last 17-18 years

But Järvinen has good chance to change it, his decathlon total from PBs (with junior size disciplines) is around 8700 now...

13 hours ago, Orisek said:

I hope their career will be great. Its quite crazy that Czechia had so many talents in junior level last years (World or European champions Sykora, Dolezal, Doubek), but we are still waiting for 8400+ decathlete in senior level in last 17-18 years

But Järvinen has good chance to change it, his decathlon total from PBs (with junior size disciplines) is around 8700 now...

With Jãrvinen I am guessing a :FIN father & a :CZE mother?  Looks like you are lucky to get a :CZE vest on him first!  :thumbup:

15 hours ago, Orisek said:

Sykora and Doubek are the only two (among the 9) 8100+ u20 not to have registered a better mark in the senior rank ...

Actually Järvinen has got marks in the senior implements in both the hurdles and the discus, pretty good actually (14.35 and 43.24). He only lacks a senior shot put performance to have an official senior decathlon potential but guesstimating from his 6kg PB (13.6) we can assume he's capable of going somewhere around 12.30 which gives him a 8388 sum of PBs. That's very good. 

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

With Jãrvinen I am guessing a :FIN father & a :CZE mother?  Looks like you are lucky to get a :CZE vest on him first!  :thumbup:

Yes, his parents are Mika Jãrvinen :FIN  and  Kateřina Nekolná :CZE. Kateřina is former ~6000 points heptathlete and Mika is sport coach and I think former decathlete too. So sports genes are there :-)

Tomas was born in Finland, but they moved to Czechia in his early age

Not sure what are the rules for these dual-citizenship athletes, unless he already started at senior championship, he can still switch to Finland, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Orisek said:

Yes, his parents are Mika Jãrvinen :FIN  and  Kateřina Nekolná :CZE. Kateřina is former ~6000 points heptathlete and Mika is sport coach and I think former decathlete too. So sports genes are there :-)

Tomas was born in Finland, but they moved to Czechia in his early age

Not sure what are the rules for these dual-citizenship athletes, unless he already started at senior championship, he can still switch to Finland, I guess.

There is definitely a certain age at which your nationality is fixed, will try to find out more.

We defended ourselves here with 2 medals + assuming Furlani's start, there would probably be 3 of them, including 1 gold, but our performance for me is definitely a minus. A large Italian team went, and most of the competitors are out of shape and doing poorly. The result in the points classification will also be much weaker than in 2022. This is probably our first start at the youth and junior level in several years, where we did so poorly. I don't recognize most of our team and they shouldn't start here in such form.