website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 6 (August 1)

17 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I guess, but weren't we also saying that in 2016/2020? Ruck and Oleksiak were supposed to lead Canada to glory in the future, and they weren't even in the mix by 2024. I guess we'll see, but swimming seems to be on the decline on the women's side besides Summer. 

Really hard to know when a swimmer will peak. You have people like Penny and Ruck who peaked as teenagers, and then on the complete opposite side you have people like Wilm who peak in their mid 20s. 

We all assume Summer will get better, but these *could* be her best Olympics. Or just a prelude to how good she’ll be at 21. It’s impossible to predict.

Edited by NearPup

42 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Really hard to know when a swimmer will peak. You have people like Penny and Ruck who peaked as teenagers, and then on the complete opposite side you have people like Wilm who peak in their mid 20s. 

We all assume Summer will get better, but these *could* be her best Olympics. Or just a prelude to how good she’ll be at 21. It’s impossible to predict.

Summer seems a lot more prepared for success than Penny.

Penny was suddenly thrown in the deep end with surprise success in Rio, and had a hard time dealing with everything that came with the sudden fame... Summer seems almost nonplus about it. Then again, those around her seem to have been preparing her for it since she was a kid

Ruck, I have no idea about. Like I said before, she's a mystery wrapped in an enigma. The occasional flashes of brilliance make the rest of the time so frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Shady El Nahas was injured and had surgery on his finger a few weeks before the event. He couldn't even practice that much :(

Oh that makes a lot of sense - losing in the R16 was way below my expectations for him. 

53 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Shady El Nahas was injured and had surgery on his finger a few weeks before the event. He couldn't even practice that much :(

Doesn't bode well for the team competition.