website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 3

1 minute ago, Mkbw50 said:

Something I've felt about these Games so far: the atmosphere looks electric. Marchand, and now this among the highlights. "USA! USA! USA!" for a bronze in gymnastics.

It has been. Through the French sometimes booing when things don’t go their way is a bit disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Something I've felt about these Games so far: the atmosphere looks electric. Marchand, and now this among the highlights. "USA! USA! USA!" for a bronze in gymnastics.

the gymnastics arena sounds like it could be in L.A they definitly got hold of the bulk of tickers in that arena, its so good having an olympics with fans again....again, poor poor japan

2 minutes ago, Jon said:

Some spare trunks and a lucozade.

What about the swimming race they're taking part in? predictions?

Edited by JamDH

Just now, Mkbw50 said:

I think 4th to 4th isn't that bad. The story is :USA really strong.

Totally agree - USA had a particularly bad qualifying which probably gave a false sense of the relative strengths of the squad. 

In 2020 Olympics, we scored 255.76 for 4th. In 2024 we scored 255.527 with a much younger squad. In Antwerp WC, we scored 254.193 in qualifying before having poor final (249.46) Even in Liverpool where we had home advantage, we struggled to get much above 252. 

GB have great floor and vault scores. The pommel is OK (I am excluding Whitlock given we know this is his last competition). With Whitlock gone, it potentially opens up a spot for Tulloch again which would possibly strengthen the rings score, but we have to improve our horizontal bar score if we are genuinely going to compete for podium finishes on world stage.

Whilst it would have been great to sneak a medal in the team event, I think we need to bear in mind that this squad was probably selected with a view to maximising the number of individual medals and so far, they have delivered on that objective - securing a record number of individual finals. Now they just need to convert some of those finals into medals.

But of course, there is always going to be one member of the forum who is going to vent their poison about stuff they know nothing about. 

4 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Totally agree - USA had a particularly bad qualifying which probably gave a false sense of the relative strengths of the squad. 

In 2020 Olympics, we scored 255.76 for 4th. In 2024 we scored 255.527 with a much younger squad. In Antwerp WC, we scored 254.193 in qualifying before having poor final (249.46) Even in Liverpool where we had home advantage, we struggled to get much above 252. 

GB have great floor and vault scores. The pommel is OK (I am excluding Whitlock given we know this is his last competition). With Whitlock gone, it potentially opens up a spot for Tulloch again which would possibly strengthen the rings score, but we have to improve our horizontal bar score if we are genuinely going to compete for podium finishes on world stage.

Whilst it would have been great to sneak a medal in the team event, I think we need to bear in mind that this squad was probably selected with a view to maximising the number of individual medals and so far, they have delivered on that objective - securing a record number of individual finals. Now they just need to convert some of those finals into medals.

But of course, there is always going to be one member of the forum who is going to vent their poison about stuff they know nothing about. 

Tulloch is 28. Will he really be in LA at 32? 

0.02 again! Richards winning a medal is a great return, but Scott NOT winning one is a bit disappointing

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold