website statistics

[POLL] How is the hype around Paris Olympics in your country? Road to Paris 2024

[POLL] How is the hype around Paris Olympics in your country?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How is the hype around Paris Olympics in your country?

27 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, same here. But that's what makes it annoying when people (like in so many countries) are pessimistic about the chances. "I don't think we'll win a lot of medals in rowing"....but, based on what? "Because it would be so typical Dutch to fail" :lol: 

People talk as if the results of, say, swimmers in 2012 would have an influence on the results of rowers in 2024, because they sure don't look at actual rowing results :p (with rowing just a random example of course)

I can relate to late 80s and early 90s and back then people realized we are good in certain less popular sports like wrestling or judo and we could bring in some medals. Hell, even weightlifting used to be quite good for us too. But right now the "people aka fans" only follow football, volleyball and athletics here on a wider basis. Swimming has gone down the rank since Otylia Jędrzejczak retired and we were quite bad for some years before doing slightly better again. However our historically medal-worthy sports like wrestling, judo or boxing have collapsed (everyone's doing MMA now) weightlifting is gone too and allthough rowing and canoeing also gave us quite a haul historically they were always even less popular than combat sports. Since the Kucharski/Sycz gold medal double and the quadruple sculls in Beijing there is next to zero noise there with the exception being Walczykiewicz in sprint canoeining. Like I said before, Naja has 4 medals from three Olympics and nobody here even knows what she looks like.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I can relate to late 80s and early 90s and back then people realized we are good in certain less popular sports like wrestling or judo and we could bring in some medals. Hell, even weightlifting used to be quite good for us too. But right now the "people aka fans" only follow football, volleyball and athletics here on a wider basis. Swimming has gone down the rank since Otylia Jędrzejczak retired and we were quite bad for some years before doing slightly better again. However our historically medal-worthy sports like wrestling, judo or boxing have collapsed (everyone's doing MMA now) weightlifting is gone too and allthough rowing and canoeing also gave us quite a haul historically they were always even less popular than combat sports. Since the Kucharski/Sycz gold medal double and the quadruple sculls in Beijing there is next to zero noise there with the exception being Walczykiewicz in sprint canoeining. Like I said before, Naja has 4 medals from three Olympics and nobody here even knows what she looks like.

But I guess Iga Swiatek is popular?

1 minute ago, copravolley said:

But I guess Iga Swiatek is popular?

Of course. She's the most popular Polish athlete not named Robert Lewandowski. So all the media hype will be on her gold medal quest in Paris. Anything less than gold will be a national tragedy by all accounts ;)

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Of course. She's the most popular Polish athlete not named Robert Lewandowski. So all the media hype will be on her gold medal quest in Paris. Anything less than gold will be a national tragedy by all accounts ;)

In Italy, sports such as judo, wrestling, fencing, swimming, etc. they only arouse interest during the Olympic Games, when they bring medals. Then they disappear from the front pages of newspapers. It takes a very strong and media personality to break through - the last popular and recognizable Italian swimmer was Federica Pellegrini. In addition, a lot is written about Jacobs and Tambieri + recently about tennis due to Sinner. Thanks to Sinner, other players also began to be noticed, e.g. Jasmine Paolini - today she was in the center of attention of the sports media in Italy all day long.

Seems a bit subdued in Canada. But the 16 days will tell the story. International sport doesn't typically get much attention outside the Olympics, especially not the summer sports. 

Though I have noticed more athletes are being featured in commercials, so it's nice they're getting some endorsements

In Italy, hype is high, but not for olympic themselves. 
Itay is hater's reign, when north is against south, catholic are against atheist, right is against left, a city is against near city.

So, attention is all for chaacter players, like Sinner, Tamberi, Paltrinieri, and viper's nest that is women volleyballl team.
And, in Italy no one knows great champions like Ganna, Dell'Aquila, or Tita.

Yes, that's incredible but there is a lot of people that hate Sinner, or Tamberi, or Paltrinieri. 

Women's volleyball team needs a dedicate chapter. Players hated one each other, there are clans, family stories, horny stories, and poor old men Velasco trying to sew everithing. Italy is potentially better team of the world,  but for example, lead Monica Di Gennaro probably will play olympic final against... his husband, Santarelli, Turkey's coach.

Edited by Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo

13 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

Players hated one each other, there are clans, family stories, horny stories

Oh we want the gossip now :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Rather mediocre. You can feel that we lost our momentum last year, media this time don't try to make fake hopes in my opinion. Our athletics has fallen to numerous serious problems, without it we can't have good olympics. If there is some small hype it's certainly volleyball and Iga but after Wimbledon (also HH injury) it is also not that great. 

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

I’ll go against the grain and report that hype in :IRL might be a little too much 

Our 400m relay teams, with Adeleke leading them, are stars. The athletics national championships are usually played out in front of hundreds but nearly 7,000 were there 2 weeks ago on the Sunday. 

Daniel Wiffen is our first potential swimming medalist this millennium 

Rugby 7s is even poking into the rugby discourse now 

I think the general public expect our rowers to repeat and our boxers to win several medals too. 

It’s great to see people interested but I’m not sure enough realise how huge a step up the Olympics will be