website statistics

Your safest Gold Medal Picks for Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, rybak said:

I would say :POL Aleksandra Mirosław in speed in sport climbing, but one small mistake can ruin everything.

I don’t think the format for speed climbing makes any athlete a lock. Any top 10 speed climber could win on the day.

Lead/Boulder however, :SLO Janja Garnbret is as safe as you can get for a gold medal.

Edited by Book

23 minutes ago, Josh said:

In tennis, nothing is a given, especially at the Olympics. Lots of upsets occur. 

She is the heavy favourite yeah, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see her not win gold (even with her three in a row at Roland Garros, the Olympic venue)

Iga is unbeatable on clay, of course an upset can happen but with the difference of level between her and the other 63 the chances are basically 95/5

I totally forgot Adam Peaty ... thought his best time was still far behind Qin's, but 57.69 vs 57.94 is not the kind of difference I had in my mind.

Checking the 200 breaststroke times now. Even on that distance Qin Haiyang is no lock for gold anymore: Matt Fallon :USA has the best time 2.06,54, with Haiyang just in 2.07,03. 

Most of my picks have all been named already, but I'll go anyway. My first thoughts were: :NED womens field hockey, :USA Sydney McLaughlin in 400mH, :SLO Janja Garnbret in boulder/lead climbing.

Some new ones: :FRA Leon Marchand 400m IM swimming and the :JPN Abe siblings in judo.

From a :GBR pov, Tom Pidcock in the MTB is probably up there. In that sport with the risk of injury/puncture there is never a guarantee but if he gets around on the bike without incident, I don't see him being beaten.

:CHN in diving is usually a lock for most of the events.

Summer in the 400IM is about as sure bet as you can get.