website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Podium Sweeps

This topic makes me realise that reducing the national  umbers in swimming events from three to two reduces the number of medals that USA and Australia would win.

I think Australia has only had sweeps in swimming but this can  no longer happen (say in the W 100m free )

I see that some sports can have 4 entrants from a country. Indeed this is the norm (?)in the Winter Games.

The cynic in me says that this is just so countries of the Global North can have more medals ie more entrants =more medal chances

6 hours ago, rajiv said:

This topic makes me realise that reducing the national  umbers in swimming events from three to two reduces the number of medals that USA and Australia would win.

I think Australia has only had sweeps in swimming but this can  no longer happen (say in the W 100m free )

Even if swimming did allow 3 athletes per NOC, it's very unlikely there would be any sweeps at these Olympics. There is a chance Australia would sweep the women's 100m freestyle but :HKG Siobhan Haughey and/or :NED Marrit Steenbergen would likely prevent that from happening.

15 hours ago, rajiv said:

I see that some sports can have 4 entrants from a country. Indeed this is the norm (?)in the Winter Games.

The cynic in me says that this is just so countries of the Global North can have more medals ie more entrants =more medal chances

More entrants are needed in the winter games as the global depth is way weaker, in the same way that 3 athletes per nation are allowed in Paralympic swimming

I wonder if it would also be unique if there are no podium sweeps at all these Games? I assume sweeps used to happen less often in the past, but feels like the last few Games have always seen a couple of sweeps (especially Winter Olympics).

54 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

I wonder if it would also be unique if there are no podium sweeps at all these Games? I assume sweeps used to happen less often in the past, but feels like the last few Games have always seen a couple of sweeps (especially Winter Olympics).

There were no podium sweeps in Atlanta

On 5/20/2024 at 9:58 PM, dodge said:

I think it’s only theoretically possible in a handful of sports

Archery - maybe the Korean women?

Equestrian - very unlikely

Golf - American men/women. Korean women?

Athletics the one with most chances? Ethiopia did it in women’s 10,000m last year at world champs. 

Archery has ever had a clean sweep in the first place at Olympics? Koreans win golds but not cleansweep at least in the last couple of decades or so

For a nation that won 2 recurve medals at World championship in mixed team and men's team and none in individual podium sweep is out of equation. Archery is an unpredictable sport but Korea has the least experienced women's team for Olympics I have seen from a while, no where close to the nerves of steel they are known for. The Archery world cup in Korea running now should throw more light on them.