website statistics

Boxing at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

As I always say, back in Beijing 2008 there was pretty much a fair, easy to understand & transparent scoring system.  So the corrupt hated it & got rid of it. 

You mean when they showed the judges scoring the punches and you could see the scores throughout each round? I too much preferred that system. It was far easier to identify when a judge was out of his/her depth or simply being dishonest.

Edited by Nickyc707

29 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

As I always say, back in Beijing 2008 there was pretty much a fair, easy to understand & transparent scoring system.  So the corrupt hated it & got rid of it. 

Yeah, I still remember how anyone got upset over the button scoring and said 10-point pro scoring will be better. Fast forward 15 years and people are fed up with that and want another change aka the button system wasn't that bad after all :lol:

Here's an old LA Times article from 1996 rasing some of the old (then new) concerns. The button system was first used in Barcelona 1992 as a direct response of the 1988 boxing fiasco.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1996-07-14-ss-25890-story.html

Overall, the more things change, the more they stay the same :coffee:

7 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Both :CUB Cesar la Cruz and :ITA Mouhiidine losing in back to back matches must be the biggest surprise of the day :yikes:

Uzbekistan can win all the gold here. Unfortunately, Italy no longer has any leading discipline and that's why it's so difficult. And we don't have any great individuals in sports to beat the dominance of other countries in their sports.

10 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Both :CUB Cesar la Cruz and :ITA Mouhiidine losing in back to back matches must be the biggest surprise of the day :yikes:

Oh yes, just another part of this amazing italian afternoon...

9 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Oh yes, just another part of this amazing italian afternoon...

Our athlete had a difficult draw, but his entire amateur career is a huge failure. He was always missing something to win an Olympic medal or a World Championship gold. Roberto Cammarele once won 3 medals for us: 1 gold - 1 silver - 1 bronze.

13 hours ago, Ogreman said:

Olympic Predictions (M92+kg, Predicted Medal Table)

M92+kg

Gold- Bakhodir Jalolov (1) :UZB, Silver- Kamshybek Kunkabayev (2) :KAZ, Bronze- Joshua Edwards (4) :USA, Bronze- Abner Texeira (6) :BRA.

Seedings

Joshua Edwards (USA)

Mahammad Abdullayev (AZE)

Delicious Orie (GBR)

Kamshybek Kunkabayev (KAZ)

Mourad Kadi (ALG)

Abner Texeira (BRA)

Bakhodir Jalolov (UZB)

Teremoana Jnr (AUS)

Bracket 1

My pick- Joshua Edwards (4) :USA.

Very interesting bracket to start off. Nelvie Tiafack (5) :GER and Mahammad Abdullayev (11) :AZE reacquaint with each other after Abdullayev beat Tiafack to qualify for the Olympics back at European games. Tiafack had won when they met prior to that. Tiafack is inconsistent and both he and Abdullayev are quite similar being kind of traditional bruising powerful super-heavyweights that don’t move a whole lot. Diego Lenzi (10) :ITA has taken a couple of quality scalps earlier this year (Orie and Ghadfa Drissi el Aissaoui) but has an uphill task against Panam champion Josh Edwards. Edwards is a tidy boxer but physically he is not as built as most heavyweights and whether it is Tiafack or Abdullayev, it will be interesting to see how he deals with that level of power. I like his chances though.

Bracket 2

My pick- Bakhodir Jalolov (1) :UZB.

Defending champion Bakhodir Jalolov is the most clear cut favourite in boxing, last lost a fight in 2018 and has beaten most of his primary competition here including Teremoana Jnr (3) :AUS who is his toughest opponent between him and a medal. Teremoana packs a serious punch and should be able to dispatch Dmytro Lovchynskyi (14) :UKR in his opening fight. Omar Shiha (13) :NOR enjoyed a stroke of luck to qualify with a cut ending Danabieke Bayikewuzi’s hopes but got no luck here and will do well to last 3 rounds against Jalolov.

Bracket 3

My pick- Abner Texeira (6) :BRA.

On paper the weakest of the four brackets. Both last 16 fights should be fairly straightforward wins for Djamili Aboudou Moindze (12) :FRA against Mourad Kadi (16) :ALG who does have the odd good win on his resume and Abner Texeira against the tricky Gerlon Congo (15) :ECU who Texeira has beaten before. That would set up an fascinating quarter final between Aboudou Moindze and Texeira with both boxers having beaten each other in the past, with the most recent contest going in favour of the home boxer. With home advantage I really feel like I should pick the Frenchman but I do think Texeira is the significantly more talented boxer and as such expect him to produce the goods when it counts.

Bracket 4

My pick- Kamshybek Kunkabayev (2) :KAZ.

Quality bracket this where all four of these boxers have significant pedigree. 2021 world silver medallist Davit Chaloyan (9) :ARM meets European champion Delicious Orie (8) :GBR. Orie has had some bad losses of late and the Brits comparing him to Anthony Joshua is delusional but he is talented and for me should beat Chaloyan. World bronze medallist Ghadfa Drissi el Aissaoui (7) :ESP faces Olympic bronze medallist Kamshybek Kunkabayev in what should be quite a close fight. Ghadfa Drissi el Aissaoui is a big man and consistent operator but I will back Kunkabayev although he is the boring pick. Kunkabayev against Orie should also be close but I’m not that convinced by Orie so let’s back Kunkabayev.

Medal Fights

Josh Edwards (4) :USA vs Bakhodir Jalolov (1) :UZB, Abner Texeira (6) :BRA vs Kamshybek Kunkabayev (2) :KAZ.

While I think Edwards is talented, he won’t get close to Jalolov. I’m close to certain the second semi-final will be different than this prediction but if this was the particular semi-final, I’ll stick with the boring pick of Kunkabayev. The final would then be a renewal of the Kunkabeyev vs Jalolov rivalry although calling it a rivalry is generous as Jalolov has always won this matchup comfortably consistently.

Gold- Bakhodir Jalolov :UZB, Silver- Kamshybek Kunkabayev :KAZ, Bronze- Joshua Edwards :USA, Bronze- Abner Texeira :BRA.

Predicted medal table      
  Predicted Gold Predicted Silver Predicted Bronze Total medals Contenders (Top 8 in rankings)
Uzbekistan 3 1 1 5 8
Turkey 2 0 0 2 3
Kazakhstan 1 2 1 4 6
France 1 1 1 3 4
Ireland 1 0 2 3 7
Chinese Taipei  1 0 1 2 3
Italy 1 0 0 1 3
North Korea 1 0 0 1 2
Canada 1 0 0 1 1
Ukraine 1 0 0 1 1
China  0 3 0 3 6
India 0 1 3 4 4
USA 0 1 2 3 4
Cuba 0 1 1 2 5
Philippines 0 1 1 2 3
Thailand 0 1 0 1 3
Romania 0 1 0 1 1
Brazil 0 0 3 3 6
Bulgaria 0 0 2 2 4
Georgia 0 0 2 2 2
Australia  0 0 1 1 3
Colombia 0 0 1 1 3
Congo 0 0 1 1 3
Spain 0 0 1 1 2
Azerbaijan 0 0 1 1 1
Dominican Republic 0 0 1 1 1
South Korea 0 0 1 1 1
Great Britain and NI 0 0 0 0 3
Serbia 0 0 0 0 2
Algeria 0 0 0 0 1
Croatia 0 0 0 0 1
Denmark 0 0 0 0 1
Refugee team 0 0 0 0 1
Germany 0 0 0 0 1
Mexico 0 0 0 0 1
Norway 0 0 0 0 1
Panama 0 0 0 0 1
Poland 0 0 0 0 1
Tajikistan 0 0 0 0 1
Zambia 0 0 0 0 1

So I have Uzbekistan expected to top the medal table with Turkey in a very precarious second, Decent and successful games for Kazakhstan, Ireland, France and Chinese Taipei. I have India winning a miraculous four medals and while the USA and China would be happy with 4 and 3 medals respectively the lack of gold would frustrate them. I should note this is already wrong as Oh Yeonji :KOR lost today to Wu Shih-yi :TPE.

Thanks for the analysis ... If India win 4 medals in boxing .....we will go mad .....I think this is based on draws , both nikhat had bad draws , but both men got good draws so nothing to complain 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Posted (edited)

:SVK Team Slovakia :SVK

Day 2

SUNDAY 28.07.2024

:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK:SVK

Boxing W Welterweight -66kg Round of 32

Jessica Triebeľová vs Alcinda Lucas dos Santos (MOZ)

0:5

Eliminated in Round of 32

paris-olympics-boxing547032.jpg.webp

Edited by hckošice