website statistics

Women's Ice Hockey IIHF Division I Group B World Championship 2024

Totallympics

This Italian team is hopeless. It's getting worse every year. They employ trainers from Canada, but there are no results. There was time to create a good team for the 2026 Olympics, but nothing will come of it. The defeat against GBR is an embarrassment and the Italians will fight for no relegation here. Just 5-10 years ago the level of the Italian team was much higher. Italian junior teams have been achieving good results for several years, but this has no impact on the senior level :(

Sunday March 31st, 2024 -

Round-Robin Day 1 Results (GMT +3)

12:30  :GBR Great Britain  1 - 0  Italy :ITA

16:00  :SLO Slovenia  4 - 1  Poland :POL

19:30  :LAT Latvia  1 - 7  Slovakia :SVK

Provisional Standing After Day 1:

1.  :SVK  3

------------------

2. :SLO  3

3. :GBR  3

4. :ITA  0

5. :POL  0

------------------

6. :LAT  0

I think Latvia is the weakest here. If Italy don't win tomorrow, they are in real danger of relegation :( Let's see if Slovakia is that strong or Latvia that weak? Even if Italy stays, it will be another wasted year. The team is not making any progress and today for the first time in history we lost against Great Britain :( The only chance for us to avoid embarrassment in Milan 2026 is the mass naturalization of several players from Canada and the USA, e.g. China in 2022. Apparently Laura Fortino will play for Italy from 2026 but I doubt whether 1 player will do anything changed in this stagnation.

Edited by copravolley

9 hours ago, hckošice said:

Monday April 1st, 2024 -

Round-Robin Day 2 Schedule (GMT +3)

16:00  :SVK Slovakia vs Slovenia :SLO

Ah, the battle of the Slovs.  Winner gets to go ahead in the next Olympic parade, loser must come out alongside Zimbabwe at the end.

This is simply embarassing to have to play in this ! So sad and frustrating to watch our hockey playing such adversity. Two totally one-sided games :(

In other hands kudos to Slovenian goaltender, one of the best goaltending performance I have seen in my life. The girl looked like she will probably die on the ice, she was constantly facing shots and made PLENTY of miraculous saves, if not her, we would have surely won by double digit...

I mean she made 71 saves this afternoon :roflmao:

image.png

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hckošice said:

This is simply embarassing to have to play in this ! So sad and frustrating to watch our hockey playing such adversity. Two totally one-sided games :(

In other hands kudos to Slovenian goaltender, one of the best goaltending performance I have seen in my life. The girl looked like she will probably die on the ice, she was constantly facing shots and made PLENTY of miraculous saves, if not her, we would have surely won by double digit...

image.png

Italy in 2019 they were at the level of Slovakia and now they are losing to the UK and Latvia :( Total blasphemy. The idea of employing a Canadian coaching staff turned out to be a terrible decision and will most likely result in Italy being relegated to a lower division :( I also don't understand how Slovakia could lose to the Netherlands and fall lower division in 2023? 

Edited by copravolley

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hckošice said:

image.png

You think that’s bad wait until Olympic qualification when they have to play Mexico

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Italy in 2019 they were at the level of Slovakia and now they are losing to the UK and Latvia :( Total blasphemy. The idea of employing a Canadian coaching staff turned out to be a terrible decision and will most likely result in Italy being relegated to a lower division :( I also don't understand how Slovakia could lose to the Netherlands and fall lower division in 2023? 

That´s hockey depth and culture. Look, in 2010 we were at the Olympics (8 NOCs only participated) around that we played the Elite division worlds, our team entered the guiness book of records thrashing opponents right and left (Bulgaria 82-0) and look now, we are in the Division I B (pool C in normal words) the generation that came after Vancouver to now was bad, we had to wait for this new generation girls to grow a bit, this team here (and the one which was relegated last year) is the youngest ever (and still missing the youngest of them and the most famous Nela Lopušanová because age restriction, she can play the worlds seniors only from next year - and that will be something ! ) Now with this new-team we build and hope and aim the qualification for the Olympics 2030. So let see how it will work, still a long way to go though...

Last year was a anomaly. First we were preparing for the worlds in April then IIHF and China who had the host rights decided to move the tourney to August, our players did not play for a month before the tournament since all their competitions were finished, they were once again too young and inexperienced from interantional play, which we saw when they holded and managed poorly the main part of the matches in Shenzhen, resulting in sorrowful defeats to teams like Netherlands, Norway and so which we expected to beat, the whole atmosphere and quite bad luck in some moments of the games resulted in very embarassing relegation to pool C, where we are this year, and honestly, there no excuses, this is not our level and we do not belong here, anything else than promotion will be a total and epochal fiasco. Young team or not. They have only one task, move up to pool B for neyt year

Edited by hckošice