website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

23 minutes ago, MHSN said:

so, that was an interesting session of wrestling. some surprises as expected, I think only 87kg went as planned. 

60kg: :MDA vs :BLR / :RUS vs :TUR

67kg: :HUN vs :UKR / :POL vs :FRA

77kg: :MDA vs :TUR / :HUN vs :FIN

87kg: :DEN vs :SRB / :RUS vs :BLR

97kg: :GEO vs :GER / :SRB vs :LTU

130kg: :GER vs :ROU / :AZE vs :RUS

to me the there are only 2 very surprising semifinalists, Germany 97 and Finland 77. I can't remember if I ever seen this German guy before :yikes:. I have to check his old results but I know nothing about him, he did great and he has a shot for the quota. 

I also have to say that the order of matches played a big role. Selcuk Can was dead tired after two very hard matches and Sylla simply manhandled him in the QF. or our flying Dutchman Sterkenburg was literally dead after two hard battles and had nothing in his tank for the 3rd match.

Mamadassa Sylla has any chance of winning her Olympic ticket?

27 minutes ago, phelps said:

once again, :ITA playing the not-paying spectator role :cry: :facepalm:

oh, man...how far away the times of "Pollicino" Maenza (or even Minguzzi) are! 

27 minutes ago, phelps said:

once again, :ITA playing the not-paying spectator role :cry: :facepalm:

oh, man...how far away the times of "Pollicino" Maenza (or even Minguzzi) are! 

What happened with Chamizo?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, phelps said:

Only Chamizo and Conyedo in freestyle can realistically qualify here. Already in Tokyo we had only 2 representatives in freestyle. I hope Chamizo can do well here because he has bracket within his reach. As for the future, it`s probably see the example of Serbia, Slovakia or Hungary and bringing in someone from Dagestan or Ossetia. Besides, Chamizo and Conyedo also come from Cuba, not Italy.

Edited by copravolley

20 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

Mamadassa Sylla has any chance of winning her Olympic ticket?

I say he is the favorite, but Sahakyan at the age of 500 is still dangerous. it won't be walk in the park

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I say he is the favorite, but Sahakyan at the age of 500 is still dangerous. it won't be walk in the park

It will be walk in the park :d

You saw last EC in weight over 67?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Adriano said:

It will be walk in the park :d

You saw last EC in weight over 67?

of course I watched the entire Euro but obviously I can't remember every single match. :d (just checked the results and see what happened between them)

but nah Greco is not like that. it's not like freestyle. it's mostly about one moment, one mistake. age is not in Sahakyan's favor but he has the technic and quality to score big points if the opportunity presents itself

Edited by MHSN

11 minutes ago, MHSN said:

of course I watched the entire Euro but obviously I can't remember every single match. :d (just checked the results and see what happened between them)

but nah Greco is not like that. it's not like freestyle. it's mostly about one moment, one mistake. age is not in Sahakyan's favor but he has the technic and quality to score big points if the opportunity presents itself

I do not believe this, but it is a nice suprise. (and could be bigger)

He failed before Tokyo - it was big dissapointment for Poland. He end his career and he now is close to OG - sport is funny sometimes.

a bit of free time so let's take a look at freestyle draw.

unlike Greco, it's mostly between Russian wrestlers and about who gets the better Russian :d which is a shame anyway. 

57kg:

this weight usually belongs to Asia, and a few of top European wrestlers are already qualified making this competition a bit of weak

I think 4 or 5 wrestlers have a chance in top half. Atli is the biggest name but I think he is past his prime, Egorov won the Euro two years ago but still he wasn't convincing since then. we also have Dingashvili, but I think the host wrestler Rzazade has the better chance here

bottom half is much easier but still I can't see a clear favorite, beside the Suisse wrestler everybody else has a chance. but I think it will be between Vangelov, Lehr and Tsiutryn. BUL and GER have a better chance since they have a bye in the first round. still my pick :AZE:BLR

65kg

top half looks much easier. almost everybody (except the Suisse) has a chance. but I think the winner of first round match between Clarke and Arushanian should be the main favorite. Sacultan had a great run last year and almost won a quota , he has to beat Naim (BUL) to reach the SF. we also have the Georgian wrestler who is not good enough as far as I know but still

Islam Dudaev has an easy path to the SF most probably against Haji Aliyev. but it won't be that easy for Aliyev, he hast to beat the French/Russian guy and later TUR/BLR. Aliyev is aging but still I think he is good enough, I say :GER:AZE

74kg:

Frank Chamizo is not as good as before but he got a good draw in top half. I think he is already in QF against Kuramagomedov or Elbakidze. won't be easy but I think he can handle it to meet Bayramov (or maybe Shapiev) in the SF. I still consider Chamizo the favorite

bottom half is harder with 3 big favorites, Demirtas, Kadi and Salkazanov along side few more solid wrestlers like Diacon, the American guy Finesilver and drug cheat Khadjiev. but I think one of those 3 will take it. I pick Kadimagomedov but Salkazanov has the luxury of facing only the winner of TUR/BLR match which gives him a good advantage, still I say :ITA:BLR

86kg:

almost all favorites are in the top half. Gocen, Gamkrelidze and Makoev are all good but I think the winner Naifonov/Kurugliev match in the QF will win the quota. these 2 guys are just much better. they wrestled a lot in Russia and Naifonov usually ended up winning by the narrowest possible margin. he didn't wrestle much recently, therefore I'm thinking about picking Kurugliev but then I can't forget their previous head-to-head results :d

in bottom half, Ramezanov is getting good results since his move to 86kg, he has a good German wrestler in the first round and then probably Nurmagomedov. he is a 3 time world medalist at 92kg, he wasn't good in his first 86kg try but I'm sure there is a good reason why Azerbaijan still picked him. another favorite here is Myakhailov (UKR) he is also new to this weight, he was very good at 79, not sure how he can handle the heavier opponents, his previous 86kg experiences weren't good, last not least is Magamadov. for some time he was considered the next big thing, he makes it clear that he is not THAT good but still good enough to win a quota for the Olympic host. my picks :RUS:AZE

97kg:

the Great Tank is not here but I think it's still easy for Zhabrailov to win the quota. but he was a last minute replacement, not sure if he is ready to wrestle. I think Thiele (GER) is his only real challenge.

in bottom half we have Baran, Baitcaev, Nurov and Hushtyn for the quota. hard to pick between them. but let's say :RUS:HUN

125kg:

the possible SF match between Ligeti and Khramiankov will most probably determine the quota. Ligeti won their last encounter. but I think it will be 50/50. 

in bottom half I think 4 wrestlers have a chance. I pick Meshvildishvili without hesitation but Khubulov is good too. Ithink it will be between them, with Khotsianivsky and Conyedo behind them, Conyedo lost to almost everybody and its dog last Olympic cycle but ended up winning and Olympic bronze :d never count him out when it comes to the OG. my picks :BLR:AZE

I can't believe I'm giving 4 quotas to Azerbaijan and 3 to Belarus, I don't think that happens, some of them will lose.