website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

6 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I reckon they'd want a second, younger swimmer competing in the Women's 50 free at the Olympics this year to get that experience for future games. In the nicest way possible Anna is getting on a bit now and it's quite unclear if she'll even do LA in 4 years time. The splash and dash is one of the marquee events of every games, and not having a representative in it would be majorly embarrassing on our part. My guess is they let her choose whether she wants to do is, as she's definitely more than capable of dropping almost 3 tenths off her time despite how hard it is. 

That would be my take on it - at least let her try.

There has been so much talk about the young swimmers coming through this week at the champs. OK, they're not going to medal in Paris but some could definitely be in the mix when we get to LA and being able to go to a fairly local Olympics ahead of that could be hugely beneficial for them. After all, I don't think sending Tom Daley to Beijing as a 14 year old did him any harm. 

My gut is that they will put team goals ahead of individual goals. That's generally been the focus. They clearly encouraged Jimmy to sacrifice his individual goals for the relays in Tokyo. And they've left people out of Worlds teams who have been medal threats in 50s because they aren't useful in Olympics.

However, my gut is regularly wrong.

And Eva is right at the start of her career as a senior. So they might well prefer her to get more experience of high level comps. That would be a persuasive argument to me. But then I'm an idiot.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RussB said:

Interesting question about whether the same happens in the 100m, i.e. she gets 2nd to Anna and narrowly misses the time

I am working on the assumption that Anderson will be back for the 100m and will ultimately get the nod for the individual in Paris. That's why I think it could be smart for Okaro to be trying to get the OWT for the 50. 

Edited by Rafa Maciel

Whilst we're (kind of) on the topic of young swimmers. Performance of the day has to go to Kourosh Khodakhah. 

He went 15:52.51 in the heats of the 1500m to finish 10th overall. Within an hour and a half, he was back in the pool for the heats of the 400m Individual Medley and then back in the evening to swim in the 400 IM junior final. All that after he won the junior 400 free on day 1 and just missed out on the junior final form 200 butterfly and he still has the 800 free and 200IM to come. 

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a swimmer doing a 1500m free and 400IM double in the same session. His schedule for this week looks ridiculous !

8 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I reckon they'd want a second, younger swimmer competing in the Women's 50 free at the Olympics this year to get that experience for future games. In the nicest way possible Anna is getting on a bit now and it's quite unclear if she'll even do LA in 4 years time. The splash and dash is one of the marquee events of every games, and not having a representative in it would be majorly embarrassing on our part. My guess is they let her choose whether she wants to do is, as she's definitely more than capable of dropping almost 3 tenths off her time despite how hard it is. 

I doubt they care about that one bit. 

Through they might well be interested in the fact Eva Okaro is mixed race and would add some diversity to what is rather white team if she is there in some capacity - something that might come in handy also if funding issues occur post Paris. 

Edited by Orangehair43

2nd gripe of the meeting. :hairpull: 

Andy Jamieson has been talking about the selection policies this morning for the juniors and the Olympics. He was full of praise for the new crop of juniors that we've got coming through and highlighted that we've already got something like 40+ swimmers who had achieved the consideration time but at no point did he question why the selection policy was going to limit the team to 30.

Likewise with the Olympic policy, he's just blindly accepted the policy without questioning the team limit. At least when it came to the Paralympic policy the team size was explained.  

12 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

2nd gripe of the meeting. :hairpull: 

Andy Jamieson has been talking about the selection policies this morning for the juniors and the Olympics. He was full of praise for the new crop of juniors that we've got coming through and highlighted that we've already got something like 40+ swimmers who had achieved the consideration time but at no point did he question why the selection policy was going to limit the team to 30.

Likewise with the Olympic policy, he's just blindly accepted the policy without questioning the team limit. At least when it came to the Paralympic policy the team size was explained.  

Edited by Orangehair43