website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

6 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Thinking of the relay - does anyone know if GB Aquatics do relay training? I think the athletics squads have specific training sessions dedicated to the relays but can't recall them ever being mentioned in relation to swimming

Athletics mostly only does that becuase of the batton.

10 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Thinking of the relay - does anyone know if GB Aquatics do relay training? I think the athletics squads have specific training sessions dedicated to the relays but can't recall them ever being mentioned in relation to swimming

From memory (ie don't quote me on this!), I think they usually do a bunch of work on the relay takeovers at the training camp directly ahead of the champs.

I'm not sure whether they do as much during normal training, with different people being in different camps and with things like tapering being an issue.

In other news, the Bath PC team have had a pretty awful meet thus far. Not sure they've got any individual qualifiers at the moment.

Sounds obvious but I think what happens in the 50/200 will greatly impact who goes in the relay as back up. You would presume that Jimmy Guy will be under consideration as well as those in the final tonight.

all comes down to a balancing act. Assuming Jimmy and Peters swims the 100 fly then you have to weigh up if they are sharing the work load for the medley relays..and then consider if Whittle going is value for a spot.

its clear this team may challenge for the Olympic title and given the workloads of Duncan, Tom and Matt I think you take Jacob to swim the heat

48 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

"They're going to take 5 or 6 people for the relay" :lol: Mark Foster must know that's just not going to happen under the current selection

Edited by RussB

21 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

In other news, the Bath PC team have had a pretty awful meet thus far. Not sure they've got any individual qualifiers at the moment.

Sounds obvious but I think what happens in the 50/200 will greatly impact who goes in the relay as back up. You would presume that Jimmy Guy will be under consideration as well as those in the final tonight.

Did there have anyone expected? 

1 minute ago, Orangehair43 said:

Did there have anyone expected? 

Depends on how expected you think. The only one that has probably exceeded expectations thus far has been Bird. Dean was fine tonight but nothing special. Others (Brooker, Adam, Williams, Mildred etc) have been outperformed by others. Very few of the Bath swimmers have matched their seedings thus far. 

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

"They're going to take 5 or 6 people for the relay" :lol: Mark Foster must know that's just not going to happen under the current selection policy.

Just to be clear on the point I was making with this was the suggestion that Foster (and others have made) was that by finishing in the top 6 in this event, you would likely be selected as relay cover but I don't think that will be the case - for example I can't see Cumberlidge being selected. At the moment, I think it is looking very unlikely that we will be taking anyone purely as relay cover - they will rely instead on the people who have qualified for the individual events.

17 minutes ago, RussB said:

all comes down to a balancing act. Assuming Jimmy and Peters swims the 100 fly then you have to weigh up if they are sharing the work load for the medley relays..and then consider if Whittle going is value for a spot.

its clear this team may challenge for the Olympic title and given the workloads of Duncan, Tom and Matt I think you take Jacob to swim the heat

I think Jacob is probably at risk, especially considering that the 4x1 is on day 1, when you expect everyone to be fresh. I think if someone like Painter or Cumberlidge were to get the 2nd 50 spot, Whittle might be missing out.