website statistics

GB Gymnastics

Bronze medal for Kinsella. Technically she finished in 4th place but it was behind 3 Italians so under the 2 per country rule, she gets the medal. 

The team finished qualifying in second place behind Italy, but it was a long way behind - almost 4 points. Difficult to see how they close that gap in the final.

It's going to be slim pickings for individual finals - Becky Downie will go into uneven bars final as 2nd highest qualifier along with Georgia-Mae Fenton. Alice Kinsella and Abigail Martin will go in the floor final with Kinsella going in as the 3rd highest qualifier. 

On the positive front Jessica looks like she is back doing some basic tumbles and recovery really seems to be going well. Fingers crossed that continues 

1 hour ago, RussB said:

On the positive front Jessica looks like she is back doing some basic tumbles and recovery really seems to be going well. Fingers crossed that continues 

Think it's Jennifer who is back tumbling - Jessica is still working on strength and conditioning although she has been allowed to start running again.

Just now, Rafa Maciel said:

Think it's Jennifer who is back tumbling - Jessica is still working on strength and conditioning although she has been allowed to start running again.

You see this is the problem with twins 🤣🤣 right well I’m going to be positive regardless. 

17 minutes ago, RussB said:

You see this is the problem with twins 🤣🤣 right well I’m going to be positive regardless. 

To be fair, I've seen a lot of chat online about them trying to get Jess back for an uneven bars routine in Paris but I can't see it happening and it's beam where we seem to have the problem so not sure there would be much upside to rushing her back. 

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

To be fair, I've seen a lot of chat online about them trying to get Jess back for an uneven bars routine in Paris but I can't see it happening and it's beam where we seem to have the problem so not sure there would be much upside to rushing her back. 

Beam has always been the GBR problem, much as Horizontal bar, historically, was the problem for the Men. If Beckie and Alice hit, that's the base for a solid score, take it and run. But it's girl 3 who is the issue then.

Honestly, at this point we prioritise individual medals because neither AA nor team is happening. That means Beckie on bars, basically, and the outside hope of Alice on floor (won't happen). A bit dispiriting that none of the girls did 2 vaults.

More broadly, it's about getting the Gadirovas and Ondine fit again, and aiming for LA

4 minutes ago, RussB said:

Georgie may-fenton with a bronze on uneven bars is a bit of a turn up

She's good on the bars. Pitty for Becky but she is prone to a fall. Given the carnage pre-event I'd say GBR would take two bronze medals and run. IF Alice really hits her floor, and they have some team luck, four is not impossible.

Latest update from Jessica Gadirova suggests recovery is going well - she's posted video of her back doing some (basic) moves. Looks like the rumours of her going to Paris for uneven bars are finally beginning to die down as the video shows just how slowly and carefully they are taking her recovery.