website statistics

Athletics 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

3 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Lots of athletes have stated they are going, and there are plenty of articles on the European athletics website. Off the top of my head I remember articles about Hughes and Hodgkinson.

I think KJT even suggested she was going. Dina, too.

Also it is ridiculous how the Balkan Championships have become, Cyprus is not Balkan but I can sort of see the connections due to the Greekness of Cyprus. However, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Malta, Austria, Ukraine??? Definitely not Balkan countries.

29 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Scandal right now at the Balkan Championships, held in Turkey, the official live stream just showed a graphic ":RNC Olivia Fotopoulou" on screen...

And in the flag ceremony it says "South Cyprus" with the :CYP flag...

Huge result in decathlon at the Balkan Championships, 24 yo Angelos Andreoglou :GRE improves his PB from 7676 at last year's Balkan Championships to 7926 to win gold :thumbup:

This is now second all-time in Greece (NR is 8069 from a million years ago). Andreoglou now passed Alexandros Spyridonidis who had 7917 in 2022 as a 24 yo, and seemed to be the one who was going to take the NR, but has had injury problems since then.

Andreoglou had PBs today in the shot put, discus, and 1500. Suddenly it seems like he can make the European Championships (as I'm sure there will also be a lot of withdrawals due to it being an Olympic year), and with a good score/result there (which is possible considering his form and the higher level of competition), maybe he can even make it to the Olympics...

On 5/24/2024 at 3:34 PM, TeamGB said:

Lots of athletes have stated they are going, and there are plenty of articles on the European athletics website. Off the top of my head I remember articles about Hughes and Hodgkinson.

Until the team is announced I wouldn't treat any of those articles as being anything more than an expression of interest. Athletes had to let UKA know by 3rd May if they were interested. The selection meeting is set for tomorrow.

I wouldn't be surprised to see any the names mentioned there but neither would I be shocked if some of them had last minute changes of heart.