website statistics

Swimming at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

DaniSRB

22 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I doubt that Chalmer will break the world record in the next 12 months, but lets see.

I dont see McEvoy winning the gold, i just hope that it wont an american or Scott, but i fear that Adrian will defend his title. 

Belmonte should win womens fly. My prediction is gold/silver for Hoshi/Belmonte and bronze for Groves or a chinese girl.

Germany being a powerhouse in swimming was a joke, we have been horrible in swimming for many years. We made some good progress recently, but we werent able to show it here. Wierling (mens 50/100 free), Vogel (mens 200/400 free), Brandt (mens 400 free), Wellbrock (mens 1500 free), Heidtmann (mens 400 IM), Hintze (mens 200/400 IM), Köhler (womens 400/800 free) and Wenk (womens 100 fly, 200 IM) should have a good future + we have some good athletes who are in their early 20s (Vom Lehn, Diener, Heintz, Graf) and some good talents who are still too young to tell whether they will become world class or not. We will never win 10 medals in swimming, but i hope that we will be able to win about 6 medals in 2020.

Well I did think it was 4 years too soon, but I told you!

Chalmers will be as good as Popov potentially, he has the perfect swimmer's sprint physique. Tall, gangly and extremely good in the back end. I still would like his first 50 to be a bit better, but to go 47.5 and think you did things wrong, jeez. The weird thing is, he rates himself better in the 200m (chose to not compete it in the trials). There is talk he will go the 100/200m in 4 years time.

Great swim by Belmonte in the fly. Happy with Maddie Groves (know her quite well, so rather than doing a whole essay on her I'll leave it at that). Great to see a girl delighted with a silver medal!

Cate to win the 100m free, and I think Taylor McKeon to win the breastroke. 200m backstroke for men will be one of the races of the meet. Larkin is a chance but won't be shocked if the American wins.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Syd7:

Well I did think it was 4 years too soon, but I told you!

Chalmers will be as good as Popov potentially, he has the perfect swimmer's sprint physique. Tall, gangly and extremely good in the back end. I still would like his first 50 to be a bit better, but to go 47.5 and think you did things wrong, jeez. The weird thing is, he rates himself better in the 200m (chose to not compete it in the trials). There is talk he will go the 100/200m in 4 years time.

Great swim by Belmonte in the fly. Happy with Maddie Groves (know her quite well, so rather than doing a whole essay on her I'll leave it at that). Great to see a girl delighted with a silver medal!

Cate to win the 100m free, and I think Taylor McKeon to win the breastroke. 200m backstroke for men will be one of the races of the meet. Larkin is a chance but won't be shocked if the American wins.

About Chalmers: Its crazy that he is already that clutch and didnt go out too fast (like Condorelli). I also think that he could be amazing in the 200 free, especially because the 200 free is less competitive nowadays. I know that he should be able to improve considering his age, but he doesnt look like 18 at all, so i am not so sure whether he could really get much faster in the future. I said the same about Bukowiecki (that he would never be able to do 22 m or more) in mens shot put and he is still improving, so i might be wrong.

About Belmonte: Deserved win for her. She has many minor medals and deserved a gold in my opinion, considering her crazy schedule. Huge respect to Groves, i thought that she would be lucky to win a bronze, but she improved her PB and was able to beat the current world champion. In addition to that i love to see young swimmers who risk something and try to win the race from the beginning.

About Cate and McKeown: Cate should win the gold, Sjöstrom and Kromowidjojo look worse than expected, i think Kromowidjojo might have a better chance in the 50 free. I think only Oleksiak has a chance to beat Cate, she seems to improve every day and we dont know how high her ceiling is. I dont see McKeown winning gold. After the semifinals i would say that this race is completely open, i just hope that Efimova wont win. Before the competition i thought that Kaneto, Solnceva and Efimova would win the medals. My hope is that Pedersen will somehow get a medal. The way this meet has been going so far, i wouldnt be too surprised to see something like Kaneto ahead of Smith and Tutton/Renshaw.

Mens 200 back: Should be between Rylov and Murphy in my opinion. Bronze pretty open, probably Pebley or Larkin.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

About Chalmers: Its crazy that he is already that clutch and didnt go out too fast (like Condorelli). I also think that he could be amazing in the 200 free, especially because the 200 free is less competitive nowadays. I know that he should be able to improve considering his age, but he doesnt look like 18 at all, so i am not so sure whether he could really get much faster in the future. I said the same about Bukowiecki (that he would never be able to do 22 m or more) in mens shot put and he is still improving, so i might be wrong.

About Belmonte: Deserved win for her. She has many minor medals and deserved a gold in my opinion, considering her crazy schedule. Huge respect to Groves, i thought that she would be lucky to win a bronze, but she improved her PB and was able to beat the current world champion. In addition to that i love to see young swimmers who risk something and try to win the race from the beginning.

About Cate and McKeown: Cate should win the gold, Sjöstrom and Kromowidjojo look worse than expected, i think Kromowidjojo might have a better chance in the 50 free. I think only Oleksiak has a chance to beat Cate, she seems to improve every day and we dont know how high her ceiling is. I dont see McKeown winning gold. After the semifinals i would say that this race is completely open, i just hope that Efimova wont win. Before the competition i thought that Kaneto, Solnceva and Efimova would win the medals. My hope is that Pedersen will somehow get a medal. The way this meet has been going so far, i wouldnt be too surprised to see something like Kaneto ahead of Smith and Tutton/Renshaw.

Mens 200 back: Should be between Rylov and Murphy in my opinion. Bronze pretty open, probably Pebley or Larkin.

I'm more shocked that he didn't choke like McEvoy...AGAIN. McEvoy being a choker was no shock whatsoever. I honestly have Chalmers being a better 200m swimmer and this comes from seeing him do 200m sprints before, his bac end is ridiculously good in the 200m. He has been able to transform that backend to the 100m, but won't shock me if he is a better 200m swimmer. He has plenty of margin for improvement, he turned almost last at the 50m mark. I won't be shocked if he breaks the WR soon (probably 12-18 months). That is a prediction of mine.

On the positive I got him at $12 to win the thing!

I would have loved a dead heat in the fly just from a personal point of view I guess. Groves was unlucky I guess, but credit to her she produced a PB an you can't be disappointed in a PB.

Have McKeon winning the breastroke as I feel she has the most improvement, she clocked off big time with 25m to go in the semi. Who knows though there isn't a standout breastroker this Olympics unlike before. Surprised King didn't try and do the double. In a weak field I would have given it a crack.

Mens 200 back will be interesting. Have Murphy as the favourite ahead of Larkin with Rylov/Pebley to fight for 3rd. Larkin will need to be as close to his World Championship winning time to win.

3 minutes ago, orangeman said:

And now Byron (the commentator) just apologized again.  You know you're Canadian when you keep saying sorry.  :d

When is Bouchard apologising to me for my unfortunate thing of having to watch her in the Wimbeldon final lol

Candadians are great sports! If Australia doesn't win I love it when Canada does...plus you have the best anthem ever!

1 minute ago, Syd7 said:

When is Bouchard apologising to me for my unfortunate thing of having to watch her in the Wimbeldon final lol

Candadians are great sports! If Australia doesn't win I love it when Canada does...plus you have the best anthem ever!

Awwww, thanks. :wub:

Since the Aussies are the biggest rivals to the Americans in the pool, I often root for them, too.  

Just now, orangeman said:

Awwww, thanks. :wub:

Since the Aussies are the biggest rivals to the Americans in the pool, I often root for them, too.  

We always have great love for each countries, plus personally I travel to Canada quite a bit- actually snowboard a lot, and Canada has a lot of places I can go off course (safely of course). People in Canada are the friendliest too, genuinely love life I guess.

5 minutes ago, Syd7 said:

We always have great love for each countries, plus personally I travel to Canada quite a bit- actually snowboard a lot, and Canada has a lot of places I can go off course (safely of course). People in Canada are the friendliest too, genuinely love life I guess.

I took a 5 week trip up the East coast of Australia a few years ago in a camper van.  Beautiful country, lovely people.  A bit expensive, though.  Had so much fun, though.